Wednesday, May 21, 2008

let's talk controversial politics

I always hesitate talking politics, partially because I usually feel uneducated in this vast realm.

But this presidential campaign has caught my attention and won't let me go. Travis and I have been very attentive to all the candidates and I've found myself forgoing music in the car to instead listen to radio talk shows, such as NPR, Hannity, Rush Limbaugh (all conservative, I know).

I don't usually click on links that people post, just because it takes time and such. But this one, I encourage, URGE, you to listen to. There is so much more on this guy that raises red flags, in regards to the war, etc., but this one should speak to all people that value life.

http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/05/barack-obama-on-what-is-at-stake-in.html

10 comments:

Hannah said...

NPR is not conservative. so if you are listening to that, way to go. they are liber-al!!

Jason and Anna said...

Thanks J. It was really good to hear! He looks good on paper in many ways but yeah...it makes me so sad to think that he'll probably be in the White House fighting to overturn the small steps that have been made toward anti-abortion laws. :-(

jenny said...

No, Anna! I can't believe he will be in office. I'm totally against him and there are many people fighting against him. We need to keep hoping.

Stephanie Tang said...

I could only get through 5 minutes of it. It made me too sad and it frightens me to think he could be one day soon be "leading" our country.

And, yes, NPR is liberal (though it doesn't seem to be to the extreme in my opinion.)

Jason and Anna said...

I know. I will fight and pray that he doesn't but it's just so hard to believe that a Republican will make it in this time around. But, you know, God is so much bigger than that. I will not keep praying!

Jason and Anna said...

HA! I just put, "I will not keep praying!" I'm such a dork! I meant...I will not STOP praying. Duh!

Our Life Together said...

This election is SO frustrating to me. I don't feel like any of the people running are "great leaders." I seriously may just go off the deep end and vote for the independent party this year. God has control over the situation but at times it's so frustrating to look at the next 5 months and wonder what kind of future the US is looking at.

Brianna Heldt said...

I wish that our country would make all abortions illegal. At the same time I ultimately believe that the primary battlefield is in peoples' hearts, not Washington DC. For so long now James Dobson (a fellow Colorado dweller, heehee) has told me to call my legislators, etc. etc. and while that is good to do, let us affirm life all the more by reaching out to vulnerable women, by fighting poverty, and by helping the fatherless.

As for Obama, keep in mind he was speaking at a Planned Parenthood event, and most likely accepts campaign contributions from them. He's a liberal democrat, so naturally he is in favor of "a woman's right to choose." He is deceived into thinking that this is helping women, or our society. (On a personal note there are some things I really like about him, and some things I really don't, as with the other candidates. Darn.)

We were never guaranteed a "Christian" nation; in fact, the Bible says the world will hate us, because it hated Him. So I do my best, vote my conscience, and try to trust the Lord with the outcome!

Carrie Haughey said...

oh, I am so torn on this election year. I am not a huge fan of any of our current candidates.... I will probably vote for McCain, even though I am not totally jazzed about him. I need to do more research on him though... I would take Clinton in the white house before Obama though...

Jason and Anna said...

* A LOoooong Comment*
Brianna brings up some good points. You fight and pray all that you can and yet...the world isn't going to get better, it's only going to get worse. It's almost "expected" in a weird way. It seems like the most effective way to fight (like Brianna said) is to get out there and reach out to those women who themselves are battling the abortion choice. It seems that's when baby lives are saved...not through the gov't...especially with the way that it seems to be going.

Maybe this is a "passive" way to view politics and yet...I don't know. Maybe it's more aggressive becuase it makes us physically do something that's risky, rather than just vote and write letters. (Granted, I'm not out there doing this!)

I think that the whole thing is frustrating because the conservative and liberal decisions for our country are very dependent on the House, Senate, and Judicial majority. Sometimes it's the conservatives, sometimes it's the liberals who hold the power. Just when it seems like progress is made...the people get changed up, the majority shifts, and then it's undone! Especially with the Supreme Court...I guess sometimes it feels that ultimately it's not in our power really to do all that much. I love America...it's the best government system that this sinful world can offer (or so it seems)...it's just hard for me to not have a more fatalistic idea of it sometimes. Good post though Jenny. Talking politics is fun! :-)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...