Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I couldn't sleep last night. My heart felt so heavy and sickened by the outcome of the election. Let me preface this by saying I truly do know and believe that God is sovereign and has put Barack Obama is his position for a purpose. I know that... now I am aiming and praying for the Lord to change my downtrodden heart to mirror what my mind knows.

I do rejoice and marvel in the fact that last night we elected the nation's first African-American man for president! What a far cry this is from 100 years ago, no, just 50 years ago! I can't help but think that the fact that his skin is black must be an inspiration to so many... and I can't imagine how it must feel to an African-American to see someone of their own color to be in such a honored position. What a thrilling thing!

Yet, in the same sense, I felt as though his skin is the only thing that matters. Watching NBC last night, after they announced his victory, his skin color was the main topic - no, the ONLY topic. I wanted to yell at Brian Williams: "We all are rejoicing that he's black! But, let's get to his policies... his morals... his leadership...!!!"

What about the millions of unborn babies that will be murdered?

What about the socialist/Marxist government that Obama wants to implement?

What about the disrespect for the military and his lack of knowledge/experience in that area?

What about his lack of experience overall?

What about his many anti-American/terrorist "acquaintances" (friends)?

What about his wavering stance on our relationship with Israel?

This man is deeper than his black skin, and I'm afraid that America is simply judging a book by its cover. If Barack Obama's name was Bob Olson and he was just another white guy, with his exact same experiences and acquaintances and socialistic values, I doubt very highly he'd be where he is today. I feel a deep sense of sorrow and helplessness as I see America drifting farther and farther from its founding fathers and the morals that it was built on. I know that the Lord is in control. I know that this world is not my eternal home. Yet, I long for justice: justice for the unborn, justice for the extremists who want to harm our land and our freedom.

God help us as we have now chosen for our beloved country the most liberal and far-left congressman that has ever run for president.

10 comments:

Jennifer Rebecca said...

Jenny, I feel the exact same way! Currently I'm in a Diversity class for my Masters Program and last night my homework was to read Race Matters by Cornel West. In that book Cornel talks about how Bush elected Clarence Thomas for Supreme Court "just because he was a black man". Cornel states that Thomas was unqualified but they elected him anyway just because he was black. Cornel West who is African American himself states in the book that this was at the fault of white americans and black americans for sitting back and allowing an unqualified black man into a leadership position. I feel that Obama elected as President is the exact same thing. And I am really curious to hear what Cornel West thinks now. Does he really think Obama is qualified for the position he is now in? Does he really agree that it's okay to be Pro-Abortion, to kill the unborn at a rapid rate and grieve our God? Does he really think that he is qualified to make decisions on warfare when he has no idea what they even begins to look like or mean for the military men and women in America? BAH! I am baffled. And really need God's grace as well to have a heart of understanding but also of strength. What is...is. But that does not mean we should all lay passive and let God's beautiful world get ugly. That's my soap box. Thanks for writing what you did Jenny. I appreciate it.

Katie Lady said...

Me, too. Me, too, me too. I wanted to sit down and cry last night, but was reminded by Beth Moore that the more things change, the more HE remains the same. At the same time, I'm fearful of our future as believers... But, I recall hearing how the church prospers and grows under persecution. So, to quote Steven Curtis Chapman--Bring It On! We could all use a little growth, don't you think?

I do have a blog now, Jenny and if you send me your email, I'll send you the link. kateandtim@sbcglobal.net

Kali said...

I couldn't agree more, Jenny. I've just been baffled all day. What now?

Joy. said...

you articulate so well the sinking feeling I have in my stomach as I think about all of this

Our Life Together said...

So beautifully written and so many good points to ponder Jenny. Although I know that God is in control, sometimes it's hard to let go and trust ESPECIALLY when our husbands livelihood depends on it. All in all I have to have a positive attitude and move forward. I know that we are in God's hands and He has done this for a reason. The one thing that truely bothered me about him was his campaign slogan Change. What kind of changes?? He's failed to mention anything along his time running for office and now we are going to trust that his changes are going to be for the best?? I don't see major changes for at least 2 years, but I just pray that these are the best and that we elected the right man. And YES on 8....a marriage is between a man and a women and I'm so happy that many Californians (even if they aren't christian) see that.

Janet said...

Amen

Kate said...

You write so well Jenny. I just can't stop thinking about the results and pondering our future. One good thing for Obama though, is that he is sure gonna be covered in prayer!! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen! to everything you said! It's hard to know what God has planned when the things that happen seem so wrong. There is a purpose, but it will take time to reveal itself. All we can do is keep praying for our country and that Obama can make decisions that are best for us. Thankfully there are others beside him in leadership positions in our country that play a role in the decision making also. (I know you don't have a clue who I am but I ran across your blog through someone I know):)

Joanie said...

Well said. I think that you and Travis and all other military families have a perspective that civilians don't have - this is REAL. We'll be praying!

Emily Takes Photos said...

Wow, I have A LOT to say on this subject, but I'll try to keep it civil :)

To respond to Joanie's comment, I'm a little offended that apparently I don't have any real perspective since no one in my family is currently in the armed forces. I think that's bogus.

In other news:
To belittle someone's triumphs as merely a result of their skin colour is just as racist as not voting for someone for the same reason. Now I'm not calling you a racist, and I'm sure you didn't mean anything too harsh by that, but you've got to give Americans more credit than that. Part of the reason that it was such a hot topic on the news is because it was a big leap, at least for our parents' and grandparents' generations. You and I were lucky enough to have been raised in an age where race didn't quite play the role it used to, and I'm so thankful for that.

Now to answer some of your questions/concerns:

What about the millions of unborn babies that will be murdered?
-- Obama is not calling for the murder of unborn babies. He voted against abortion bans because there were no clauses protecting the mother's health and severe cases. Even if Roe v. Wade was overturned, abortions would still happen, just as people use illegal drugs. The only difference though is that illegal abortions would be performed in unsafe conditions, causing more damage to the mother.

What about the socialist/Marxist government that Obama wants to implement?
-- Police departments, fire fighters, even armed forces, all "socialist" type programs. Health care is just one more thing. With our country currently going down the crapper and may of its citizens falling through the cracks, I'm fine with spending a few extra tax dollars to repair the system.

What about the disrespect for the military and his lack of knowledge/experience in that area?
-- That's what his cabinet is for. Hopefully, he'll pick someone with more experience in that area to advise him. It's not a one-person job.

What about his lack of experience overall?
-- coughSarahPalincough

What about his many anti-American/terrorist "acquaintances" (friends)?
-- coughDickCheneycough

I hope this sheds a little light on the opposing point of view. And I hope that you will have faith that Obama is going to do the best he can for our country. Don't give up hope yet.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...