After you finish reading a book, do you ever find yourself missing the characters? Longing to know what's been going on with them after the book ended?? Hmmm... I know I'm not the only one, and yet I feel silly fessing up. Travis and I have been reading the Narnia series (the first time for both of us!) ever since late March '08. We finished "The Last Battle" (the last in the series) right before he deployed. This finale of the phenomenal series was definitely my favorite, probably because it resonated so deeply with my desire to know and experience the "more" beyond this temporal world. I have been thinking and thinking and thinking about this book so much lately... I really miss it. I miss reading the whole series, actually. Can't wait til Bella is old enough for me to read these to her.I have encountered other adults that have been enraptured with these children's books as well, and it's no wonder why after reading this great quote by the author himself, C.S. Lewis:
I was therefore writing “for children” only in the sense that I excluded what I thought they would not like or understand; not in the sense of writing what I intended to be below adult attention. I may of course have been deceived, but the principle at least saves one from being patronizing. I never wrote down to anyone; and whether the opinion condemns or acquits my own work, it certainly is my opinion that a book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then.
I think that these children's books are very profitable for adults - maybe even more so than for children, as we may understand and glean from the allegories in a way that children can't yet.
----------
Bella update:
Doing well... Ibuprofen is helping a lot with the excessive fussiness. Sleep is getting better. She has now come down with an awful cough, lots of sneezing and green snot. Lovely. This poor child has been through the gamut! We're just enjoying lots of down time, snuggling, and extra TLC.




7 comments:
Oh, yes, the Chronicles of Narnia. A huge part of my formative years and early chapter book reading - it was so motivating that I just kept on reading! I love these characters as well.
Glad to hear Bella's update. So sorry to hear she's sick on top of the recovery.
Praying for you!
Hope Bella is feeling better soon! Just an FYI -- I've heard from different friends [from random places around the United States] that there is a bout of RSV going around with infants. Keagan had croup a week ago, and something similar to RSV. There were 2 other babies in his daycare than had RSV. Just wanted to keep you in the know in case RSV might be going around in your area too!
oh yes, i have a hard time giving up the characters after a book is done. with a good book, i always want to know what happens next for the characters.
sorry poor bella is sick. she doesn't need that right now. but glad the ibuprofen is working.
Yes! I agree 100%. i miss many of my book character "friends". =)
besides the cold, I'm glad that Bella is recovering! Tell Travis we said hello and we're glad the fam is back together!!!
Jenny, you are so eloquent and insightful... and where did you find the Lewis comment on books not being worth reading if they are only for children? Holy cow, what a mind that man had. Have you read the Space Trilogy? I read Perelandra for Lit Senior year, and I really think you'll like it.
Hearing your love for the C of N characters makes me envious to read the series again. When I read books I, too, put so much thought and my heart into it. Maybe even a little too much.... lol.
So good to hear that Baby Bella is doing better. I was so worried about her!
I too loved the Chronicles--I have read them, read them aloud to the "boys" in the tub and have seen the movies. The best however, is the Chronicles produced by Focus on the Family as a radio drama. Absolutely amazing. What a way to pass the time on a longer drive.
Many prayers for you, Travis and Bella dear.
Post a Comment