Thursday, May 28, 2009

luxuries

This thermometer is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! I had bought a cheap-o one when we got married and it served it's purpose. Then we had a baby. And that cheap-o thermometer turned heinous. Since babies can't hold the thermometer in their mouth, and since I'm disgusted by the thought of a rectal temperature, under the armpit was the only way to go. And this dang thermometer would take MINUTES to finally get the temperature and 75% of the time, the number that showed was 88.6 or something ridiculous like that. Yesterday, the nurse discharged us saying, "Make sure to take Bella's temp every 4 hours to make sure she doesn't spike a fever." Ya right, thought I. And right before we left, they took Bella's temp one last time with the aforementioned device. One swipe across the forehead: quick as a jiffy and accurate as all get out. $29.99 at Target. This is my new baby gift to new parents.

Moving on to bigger and better subjects: moldy shower curtains. Can anything get more disgusting?? Ugh... makes me shiver just thinking about it. Although, my husband never seems to notice when ours turn into a fortified colony of mildew. Weird. Anyways, I always just toss mine out and run to Target or TJ Maxx to buy the mold resistant kind - roughly around $10-$15. My dear friend, Tabitha, kindly let me in on a little secret the other night, though: shower curtains are machine washable! Just add a cup of bleach and detergent and wa-la: brand, spankin' new! Don't poke fun that I didn't know this before...

4 comments:

Erika said...

Jenny, I loved this blog post!! :) So, when I have kids, I need a new thermometer...I honestly would have never thought of that!! I'm going to try your recipe for mildewy shower curtains...I hate them as well!!

Kristen Borland said...

i've tried washing shower curtains (no luck), but didn't think to add bleach. i should try that, but i'm totally and irrationally afraid of bleach. so we'll see...

i just wish we had shower doors. apparently the previous owners took them out (leaving nice holes to prove it).

Joy Howse said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE my thermometer like that. As a matter of fact, it has become my new best friend the past 2 days since Aiden has been spiking a fever (I think he is trying to cut a tooth). And as far as the mildew on shower curtains: hate it, always replace it, never tried bleaching it, might have to try it. Thanks. Hope you have a wonderful week

Tim and Melissa McBee said...

Thanks for all of this helpful info. I just washed/bleached my shower curtain...worked like a charm!!! Now I'm on the look-out for that thermometer :)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...