"When the language is uninspired and trite, readers are the losers. If we want children to speak and to write good language, they need to hear beautiful language in their stories - the right word in the right place. We want them to meet memorable characters, like Wilbur and Charlotte when they are younger and characters like Sam, Gamgee, and Frodo when they are older."
- Gladys Hunt, author of Honey for a Child's Heart
My dad was wonderful at this. A keen memory I hold dear is my father coming home with some new book to read to us 5 children at night. He always seemed to pick the most magical, the most engaging, and simply the best books to fill our young, adventurous heads with. Books that made us want to go to bed, simply because we could all cuddle 'round Dad and become part of the extraordinary world of storyland. Stories like "The Hobbit," "Tom's Secret Garden," and "Rip Van Winkle."
To read more about choosing the best books to read to your children (or yourself, for that matter!), visit this blog. And to read the rest of the article from the aforementioned quote, visit here.




3 comments:
And our children got to enjoy the benefits of your Mom sharing these wonderful titles with us. Oh what sweet memories of read aloud times I have and miss it so much. I have a wonderful list of books especially for boys if any of you ever need it :-)
And I never went to the library without my copy of "Honey for a Child's Heart" or another book I believe it was titled "Books Children Love"
Defintely going to check that out -I can't wait until Caroline is old enough to enjoy story time :)
Post a Comment