Tuesday, October 27, 2009

open wide

Image above by Jim Jeffrey
I like food. Yet, I am very moody with it. Some may prefer the verbiage "picky," but I don't see myself that way. I will try anything once, and even if I like it I still may choose not to partake of it. I need to be in the right mood for food. Thus, I usually am classified as a snacker - which drives my husband nuts, because he doesn't think I eat enough... and he LOVES big meals. To recap, I like food. But I don't love it.
Water, on the other hand, is always satisfying, always nourishing. Refreshing, cold, smooth, quenching... water always tastes good, always fills a need. Thus, the reason I chose the above photo as a visual.
"I AM the Lord your God,
who brought you up out of the land
of Egypt.
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."
Psalm 81:10
I ran across this verse yesterday while studying the Bible and was struck (don't you love when that occurs??) with the command, the simplicity, the word picture, the relevance it has to ME today.
Life has not been easy this past year, especially these last 6 months. Emotionally draining, to say the least. I'm sure you've heard me say this before, but allow me to go deeper. Since our daughter's birth, my husband and I have had such a difficult time relating and connecting. Why? How? We're both not quite sure, but in the midst of all the hubbub, surgeries, deployments.... we somehow lost each other. Who is this man and why is he in my house?? Who is this woman and why does she treat me as an impostor?? Was I really madly & deeply in love at one point, and what does that look like today?? We've struggled and fought to keep our relationship close, and our God has been so good to remind us daily of His grace that we need. Yet, we still hurt. I've found myself constantly crying out to Him, "Why God? Where are you and why aren't you helping us??"
Then I came across this verse. "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." What came to mind immediately was feeding times with Bella. When I want her to try something new and I KNOW she'll love it, but she's uncertain, so barely cracks her lips. Or better yet, when I know she may not like the peas, but they're GOOD FOR HER and I must feed them to her.
I knew at once that I was found guilty. I had been fighting God as well, not trusting what He will put in my mouth if I chance it to "Open Wide!" I didn't want to surrender all, and chance that I may be hurt. I didn't want to let go and abandon my will, my stubborn heart, my right. How precious are the times when Bella just TRUSTS her Daddy and me to feed her good things. How much EASIER are those meals when she trusts and obeys and goes to bed satisfied and filled.
So, my husband and I talked last night. And while I wouldn't say that I tilted back my head and threw open my jaws, I opened wider than I have in awhile. And God is so good. He filled it with many good things.
Trust and obey
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus
But to trust and obey.

8 comments:

donnasue said...

So good to know He meets you and me where we are at. Thanks jen for being real enough and trusting enough to to witness of His amazing grace (like rain... water)

Joanie said...

Jenny, thank you for sharing. Honesty about our struggles is part of the healing. I will pray for you and Travis.

I can attest to the fact that the joy will return!

Kate said...

Jen, its so hard to let go of self, isn't it? I'll be praying for you sis. I didn't know it was still difficult. Thanks for your honesty. Hang in there.

Christy said...

Jenny - props to you to admit you are not perfect instead pretending that you are. The Lord uses us most when we are most broken!

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this!!!

Jason and Anna said...

I like your food description...it is similar to the way I eat. I like food but I can actually "forget" to eat...though there are foods that I will never deny...fruit, pancakes, CP burritos...but yeah. Anyways, I´m praying for you guys!!! :) -Anna

Meg said...

Jen... thank you for being to open and honset.... I will be praying for you both.... love you!

Betsy said...

jenny, i too love your honesty and vulnerability. i love that we can admit our helplessness to Him who is power in our weakness. i love you jen.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...