Wednesday, December 2, 2009

book review: december 2009

"It's just a matter of thinking about somebody outside oneself. Wives must accept and allow their husbands to have the same feelings, cares, and concerns that they have. Assume it. don't badger your husband for female-like expression of feelings - just assume it, and behave accordingly, with understanding, compassion, and support (89)."

I'm not usually into "self-help" books. Or spiritual/devotional-like books. Once, in a blue moon, I'll find one that I like, but usually, I get bored.... and taper out. After much recommendation from my mom & sister, I picked up this book wondering how long it would take me to finish it... i.e. meaning, if ever.

And... after two weeks of reading it only at bedtime, I will highly sing it's praises. A fast, no-nonsense read, Dr. Laura is a Jewish radio host who deals with unhappy married women who complain way too often about their "slovenly" husbands. In this book, she reveals how feminism has invaded our culture to the point where it is no longer about equality and rights for women, but has reversed it's role to now put down men, verbally & emotionally emasculate them, and teach women how to not "need a man".

Convicting to the core, she addressed many issues that ALL married people struggle with: time, nagging, men's feelings, communication, sex, respect, guy time. I guess I didn't realize how deep our culture has it's claws dug into me, into my mindset. I was blown away with how (unfortunately) I related with the women/men who shared their stories. This book has shown me multiple areas I can grow in and I am actually excited to break away from the typical mold of how America portrays marriage. Multiple callers testify to trying just one of her hints found in the book and are amazed at the positive results in their feelings about their men, husbands' demeanor, and the atmosphere in the home.

Some snippets from the book:
"Too many women look at men with a sense of entitlement versus an opportunity for selflessness. Why?"
"You married a man. Always treat him like one and he will always act like one."
I don't know how many of you actually read the books I advise, but I highly encourage you women to either a) find this on Amazon real cheap (my mom picked up this copy for me at the thrift store!), b) store the title in the back of your memory for when you have time to pick up another book, or c) JUST READ IT. Even if you think your marriage perfect, or even if you're not married, there are wonderful treasures of wisdom and knowledge hidden in these pages. So, read on!

5 comments:

donnasue said...

Way to go Jen! I love you and see you in a few more weeks.

Nikki said...

All right Jenny, I had to comment about this because I read this book some time back on the recommendation of Debbi Weeks and I was so pleasantly surprised by it!! In fact, you reminding me of it makes me think that it may be time to pull it out again and get a little refresher. These types of books definitely come in handy if you read them more than once just to remind yourself of why you need to be thankful. I definitely thought it was a good read and was encouraged that it came from a secular and popular radio show host. Thanks for the reminder!!

Kate said...

i loved it too jen, even though i just listened to the abridged version on cd. good book, with great encouragement. it was fun to listen to her rules and then act them out! glad you liked it too.

Meredith said...

Alright Jenny... I'm taking your advice! I just bought it on Amazon... paid $4 total including shipping... not bad, huh?

Kali said...

My mom has reccomended that one to me as well, though I've still yet to read it. I did just read her book "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms" and was so encouraged by it...another quick read if you're interested.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...