Tuesday, January 19, 2010

hard work

Thanks for all your encouraging words about "Our Story." I've been wanting to write it down for awhile now, but finally decided to take the plunge. You can't imagine how NERVOUS I was to post that yesterday! I've never felt nervous posting before, but here I was about to actually put forth some writing that took time and effort. After reading my own writings, I'm not entirely thrilled with my ability (or style, should I say), but I figure with practice comes perfection. And whether you like it or not [should] matters little, but that I'm brave enough to present my work, warts and all. You have to start somewhere, right? That said, I'm working on the next part and should post it within the week. Keep checking back!

Meanwhile, I'm busy busy busy parenting a little punk. Yes, this one here:

I think she snuck on my blog and read about how "good" she was behaving and decided to change her course of action (I just knew I was jinxing myself posting that!). Naw... she hasn't been too awful. We've definitely been seeing her opinionated side come out with her two favorite words: "No" & "Mine." It is like PULLING TEETH getting that girl to understand that she is not the boss of this show! It's been many a tearful session (on her end) teaching her that saying "no" to Mama and Daddy is not okay. She's a smart lil' whippersnapper. I know she understands, she just has a will. But, I love that kid more than anything and she is quick to forgive and loves us despite the constant discipline. I love that aspect of children.

Starting tomorrow, Bella is going to be meeting with a speech therapist. I'm excited to see if they can help her develop more of her sounds (mainly consonants) and give us any tips on how to work with her in this area. I'm so thankful for programs and specialists that are available to us - such a blessing!

7 comments:

Erika said...

I LOVED your Part I story :) I can't wait to hear the rest of it through your beautiful storytelling! I agree with others that you should pursue writing....you have a way with words!

On a random note, I wish I could sit in on Bella's speech therapy tomorrow. I worked with alot of preschoolers that were in speech and it was amazing to see them grow in their speech sounds! I would love to hear how it goes!

Kim said...

She's also got a smart Mama & Daddy to not allow her to run the show. Isn't it absolutely amazing how much they understand?! Also, it touches me deeply that they still love you after they've been disciplined. Just the other day after disciplining Luke, he said, "I love you, Mommy!" Ahhhh. . . .

Kate said...

oooh! i'm excited to hear how it goes tomorrow! let me know. love you.

joy said...

Look how cute she is! I loved reading your story and look forward to the next installment.

Kali said...

Oh my does she look ornery in that picture :) Good for you for being so consistent with the discipline -it's a good reminder of what I need to brace myself for in another year!

Also, I'm so excited about your story! I'm hooked...when's the next installment?? It makes me want to write our story down as well.

Kristen Borland said...

Hang in there! It's so hard, but so worth it in the end. You will always have your ups and downs. Things will go well for awhile, and then slowly things unravel piece by piece without you realizing it, and it's time to crack down again. the thing that keeps me going is seeing their hearts grow and become more and more affectionate toward us, like you said. there is something about boundaries, correction, and discipline that endears a child to her parents--like she knows you are loving her enough to give her what she really needs, and she feels safe with that.

liz oelker said...

yay for speech pathologists!! :)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...