Wednesday, October 13, 2010

books

We recently received a new bookshelf.  Handmade.  Pure walnut.  Beautiful.  It was a trade - I taught piano lessons to the children and the father made me a bookcase.  I love it.  But now we need to rearrange our living room... and we all know how much I love doing that.  Not.  So, the shelf remains a mess right now, holding our crazy mess of books, toys, and other junk.  


I love to read.  Before children, I would categorize myself as a voracious reader.  I've always read, for as long as I can remember, and I've always loved books.  I even worked on the campus library all four years during college.  But now, ante-children, reading seems like an expensive pastime I can't afford.  Sad, and maybe not completely true, but it's how it feels.  Maybe it feels this way because when I start a good book, I can do nothing else.  I become like a drunkard and am intoxicated by only the characters and their surrounding world... to the point that dinner doesn't get made, laundry doesn't get done, sleep doesn't happen.  And if I can't enjoy and pour over a book in that fashion, I'd rather just not even start.  Again, sad, and maybe not completely wise, but it's how I feel.  All this to say... I miss reading!

I do have a pile of books and lists of titles that I'm dying to read.  For example, here are some on my bookshelf:
Black Arrows: books I scored at a thrift store yesterday
- The Secret Life of Bees (heard it was good)
- The Yearling (good book!)
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (a vintage copy)
- The Book of Virtues (LOVE this book - and for only $1.49, what a steal!)

Pink Arrows: books I'm currently trying to read, bits of them during the week
- A Praying Life, by Paul Miller.  Fantastic read so far.
- Crazy Love, by Francis Chan.  Another wonderful book.

Green Arrows: books I want to read, but am afraid I'll get "carried away" by
- A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller.
- Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell.

The three books x-ed out at the top: books I've already read...
The book on the bottom of the pile to the left: Baby Names book.  Ugh, don't even get me started...


Bella also loves to read.  And I love to read to her.  Really, is there anything better than story time?  We love to visit the library at least every two weeks and bring home treasure after treasure.  Her current favorites?
- anything by David McPhail
- Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey.
- anything by Sandra Boynton
- and MOST FAVORITE: Corduroy, by Don Freeman.

Oh my word, she loves Corduroy, or "Coh-du-bear", as she calls him.  The mild bit of obsession she has with him might have to do with the fact that Mimi sewed a pair of green, corduroy overalls for Bella's teddy to match Corduroy.  Now she has her very own Corduroy and she takes him everywhere.  She also likes to call herself Lisa (the girl in the Corduroy book).  And every Tom, Dick, and Harry gets a lesson as to how Corduroy found his button and Mimi sewed them on...

Books.  Aren't they wonderful treats??

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how precious she looks holding her Doh-du-bear. Jenny she is so adorable and I wish I could be there to read to her and hug her - you too. Love you, Nana

donnasue said...

you know what's really great? i recognize her dress from her closet. Im grateful for our time together and the memories.

Anonymous said...

Corduroy is totally my favorite book too! And like you, I just refuse to start a book these days because I know I won't have a whole entire day dedicated to reading it. I get into the characters and my own imagination way too easily when it comes to fiction (especially children/adolescent chapter books). However, I did read I Will Carry You by Angie Smith in 2 hours last night. An incredibly great story and easy read if you need some quick non-fiction.

Amanda B. said...

Okay can I just tell you that Corduroy is Isaac's favorite as well. It is the first one he pulls off the shelf and will carry it all around the house. He only makes it through me ready a couple of pages but he loves to find Corduroy on the pages. Too cute! I love that the love the same book!

sharbear said...

JENNY! Okay, here are some books you NEED to find for Bella! Hopefully, your library has them:

-Pigs in Hiding by Arlene Dubanevich
-Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
-The Elephant and Piggie Series by Mo Willems

Maybe you have already read those, but if not, they will enhance both of your lives by about 47%.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenny! I love to read, too, and, like you, I won't start a book unless I can live in that book till I'm done. So I don't read much (except the Bible, of course!) anymore. But, our kids love to read, too, and I wanted to tell you about Jamberry. It's a really fun kids book you should show to Bella. It's nonsensical and wonderful. Very rhythmic, and kids love it!
Also, she would probably like the Bear series, "Bear Wants More" "Bear's New Friend", etc. I forget the author's name, but I'll go find the books and email it to you if you want it!
Hope you're doing well!
kendi

jenny said...

Kendi, we have Jamberry (I grew up on it!) and she loves it. It's currently in her crib. :-)

Shar, we've read the pigeon ones and they are great. I'll have to check the other ones out.

Everyone - SOOO glad you know who Corduroy is! We went to the park the other day and Bella brought her bear and some moms commented on how cute Corduroy was. Bella went off telling them about her bear. I laughed and explained how my mom had made the overalls to match Corduroy. They smiled politely and laughed. Then, one of them asked, "What's Corduroy?" Get this: NONE OF THEM HAD EVER HEARD OF CORDUROY!!! I was appalled...

rachieannie said...

Hi Jenny,

I found your blog through Bethany Hway's when you did a guest post. I also went to NWC (03-04) and I remember meeting you a couple of times. I had never heard of SLO before talking to you so you told me where it was (all of this I forgot until I figured out who it was that was posting on Beth's blog!).

Anyways, I've really enjoyed reading through your archives and "lurking" on your life. And of course I had to chime in when I saw your ode to books! I love books. As a child that was what I did. All the time. And beyond childhood to be honest :-)

Now that I'm married and in school I just don't have the time (like you I tend to get sucked in so I just stay away from the good ones) but I still always have some sort of book with me everywhere, whether it's a novel I've read before so I can piecemeal it together or a crossword puzzle or sudoku. The written word is a wondrous thing!

Oh and I am shocked and appalled that those mothers were clueless about Corduroy. Sigh. When we have kids I would just like people to give us books. I'll figure everything else out! Plus books don't make noise like obnoxious toys ;-)

Kim said...

I'm reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan right now as well. Good book. We should chat about it sometime. It's really made me think...

Erika said...

LOVE the book Corduroy!!! Being a preschool teacher, I get to see all the WONDERFUL books out there and this is definitely one of my faves :) Yes, books are definitely wonderful treats!

Kate said...

Have you tried Llama Llama red pajama? She'd love it. Dad got it for charlotte. I love that last pic of bells. She looks like you there. :) Such a sweetie.
Mom- youre an amazing sew-er. Looks just like Corduroy!

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
My children are grown now, but Corduroy was a favorite. Have you seen the videos? I know of two, one where the little girl buys him at the department store and the other is at the laundromat. They are not cartoon, must have been made in the 70's. Very adorable to see him come "alive".

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...