Wednesday, November 3, 2010

the beginning

Bella and I were panning through pictures this morning on my facebook page.  Pictures that I've had as my profile picture since my facebook account began.  Beginning with the most recent and traveling backwards, we both delighted in seeing various ones of Mama and Daddy kissing, or witnessing Bella regress in age at the click of a button.  The younger she became, the more she questioned, "Who's that, Mama?"

And then we got to this picture:
and curiously enough, I felt nervous.  I glanced over at her to see her reaction.  She was studying this beautiful baby on the screen, and then inquired, "What's THAT, Mama?" as she pointed to the ball hanging off her nose.  I felt as if a pop-quiz had just been announced.  As if I was being asked the dreaded "birds and the bees" question from 2-year old.  I wanted to explain everything... her face, my love for that face, the beauty of that face, the perfect plan in God creating that face.  I didn't want her to see ugly.

Yet, she's only 2.  She was simply curious - not questioning God in why He made her that way.  Simply inquisitive - not bitter at life, at her scars, at the difference between her face and the other girls.  But it was the beginning.

I explained that God made her lip special that way.  It is called a cleft lip - and she repeated me: "Cwef wip." And Mama and Daddy loved how beautiful she was.  But God gave us some doctors to fix it and make it all better so she could eat and drink easier.  
"Ya.  God gave us Doctors!  Mama and Daddy love baby Bella."

Yep.  And that was good enough.  She wanted to visit that picture again and again.  And each time, she repeated the truth that I had explained.
"God gave us Doctors!  Mama and Daddy love baby Bella."

I love this girl.

15 comments:

Joanie said...

MMMMMmmm, so sweet. Well Done, Jenny! Thank you for sharing this precious story.

Kate said...

precious jen. made me cry.

Amanda B. said...

So sweet Jenny. You have to love that little girl! So curious and so smart!

Emily Takes Photos said...

Aww this made me tear up a little. Such a sweet girl.

Dacia said...

oh, that is so sweet! i love it! and yes, i teared up too...maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but probably not. :-)

Sarah Helfinstine said...

That is the sweetest story!

Mama Mote said...

Awww...Baby Bella was loved and is loved by so many people. She will learn that. Maybe this talk will make it easier to do the birds and bees talk. Nah!

Michelle said...

That is so precious, what a special moment!

Lou Ann said...

precious and heartwarming, and a memory you never want to lose. brought tears, so tender. thank you.

LBeck said...

agreed jenny. totally brought tears... both for Bellas sweet conversation and for seeing the protection you desire for her as she grows older. love you guys!

Tim and Melissa McBee said...

Tears in my eyes...you're such a good momma, Jenny.

Kali said...

You're such a good momma to that sweet little girl, Jenny. Thanks for sharing such a tender moment.

Ebethteach said...

I understand:) I have 4 kids, my oldest child was born with many challenges. he had 7 surgeries before he was 7 and I know your dread about perspective for them. The world says one thing about imperfection but God another. We are ALL made in his likeness and though we cannot fully comprehend why some things are what they are he knows it all. I appreciate your canter and can tell you as he is now 10 that by filling them full of his word helps to shake off the worlds. The challenges come but they rise above. I enjoy your blog a great deal. Thank you!

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Stephanie said...

I stumbled on your blog...I'm not sure how. But, what made me stay is that your daughter has a cleft lip/palate. Mine does, too! We are awaiting her palate surgery, scheduled next month. So, I was so interested to read about your experience!
Your Bella is one beautiful girl! So glad she is doing so well!
Blessings!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...