Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick is a fascinating account of the secret lives of North Koreans. By interviewing the lives of six North Korean defectors, she creates a mind-spinning book, allowing us - the Western world - a rare peek inside "the most repressive totalitarian regime today."
The title comes from the propaganda signs and songs that litter the North Korean's world:
LONG LIVE KIM IL-SUNG.
KIM JONG-IL, SUN OF THE 21ST CENTURY.
LET'S LIVE OUR OWN WAY.
WE WILL DO AS THE PARTY TELLS US.
WE HAVE NOTHING TO ENVY IN THE WORLD.
Uri Abogi, our father, we have nothing to envy in the world.
Our house is within the embrace of the Workers' Party.
We are all brothers and sisters.
Even if a sea of fire comes toward us, sweet children do not need to be afraid.
Our father is here.
We have nothing to envy.
I'm usually a novel-reader. Biographies and history books are interesting, but I usually have to force myself to finish them. Hence, when I began this book, I wondered how long it would take me to finish. But, Demick beautifully weaves the stories in this book to read like a novel, all the while pumping your brain full of history of the Koreas, North Korean culture, and much more. I feel very rich in knowledge after reading this. That said, my father, who rarely reads a novel and prefers to stick to biographies and intellectual books, loved this book as well. So, best of both worlds.
I highly recommend this book to anyone. If nothing less, it opens eyes to the world that is bigger than our American dream. It proves how much freedom, wealth, and abundance we truly have in our democracy - no matter how flawed. And for me, it created an awareness of what others - in this very day and age - are living through, and surviving through. Amazing. Truly fascinating.
Because I so highly recommend this, I will be GIVING AWAY one copy to a lucky reader! My gift to you!! Just leave a comment telling me your most recent favorite read and you are ENTERED! Dead line to enter ends Friday at midnight. Good luck and keep reading!!





23 comments:
Does the fact that I'm Korean hold any extra weight for the giveaway? :) I'm reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales right now and before that read Robin Hood. Loved Robin Hood!
I would love to read this. It sounds fascinating!! My favorite series for 2010 was Francine River's Mark of the Lion series. Loved, loved, loved these books and gained some insight into what early Christians suffered.
I recently re-read The Giver, which I have loved every time (but for very different reasons!).
Oooo, I want it!! I'm reading Simply Christian by N.T. Wright. It's my first book of his, so far I love his metaphors and it's given me much to ponder. Before that I read the third novel in the "Song of Alaska" series by Tracie Peterson. Very easy but enjoyable read. And I read an amazing psychology type book by Dr. Henry Cloud called Changes that Heal.
Sounds really interesting... count me in! I just finished The Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp. It's the real story behind the beloved movie/musical The Sound of Music. Completely moving and heartwarming! I highly recommend it!
Bitsy's bait and barbecue. Sweet simple book, except for one chapter at the end. Quick read, light and lovely.
Another historical/nonfiction book, but I just finished "Unbreakable" by Laura Hillenbrand (who wrote Seabiscuit). True story of a WWII pilot and his entire life...he lived through some unbelievable things and was totally inspirational. Couldn't put it down!
Jenny, I too read it and was just appauled at the atrosities and conditions these ordinary people lived under and fed lies about other countries. Even how they trusted their leaders even though they doubted and then not to be able to talk and share with others about it. Very highly recommend it.
Nana
my favorite non-textbook read lately was going through Bode Thoene's "Shiloh Legacy" series over break. It covered WWI, stockmarket crash and great depression. SO GOOD!
I'm currently in the middle of Paris to the Moon - a book I bought in October at a library book sale. It's a collection of New Yorker essays by a man that moved his family to Paris from 1995-2000. I'm not a huge Francophile, but I like reading about other countries and how American's especially adjust to living in them. I prefer fiction usually, but I'm liking the non-fiction aspect to this one.
I feel a little sheepish to reply in this way, but I would like a chance to win!! Truth is, I don't have many minutes strung together to read an entire book outright (maybe I just haven't found the right one), but my recent favorite read has been the book of Titus. An encouraging and challenging letter with so much to unpack in just a couple of chapters. :)
I'm reading the Excellent Wife...it's great--convicting and encouraging!
Thanks for a giveaway! :-)
Jenny thanks for the great review! Mark and I are reading Wild Swans for his World History course with Mrs. Zinn. (Did you have her?) That is a book about three generations of Chinese women written by the youngest of the three. Fascinating from the historical perspective but also a taste of prevalent Chinese attitudes. For my 2010 favorites though I thoroughly enjoyed the Help, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Both were recommended to me by your dear mother! Glad you are finding time to read; great authors are voracious readers...
I always enjoy your book reviews and would love to read this one for myself. As for my recent read, I rarely re-read books, especially novels, but I just picked up Redeeming Love (by Francine Rivers) and am flying through it once again. I had forgotten how much I LOVE this re-telling of the story of Hosea. Thanks Jenny!
Would love to read this! I lived in S. Korea a year or so ago and learned tons about the north (and the south's varying attitude towards it) while there.
Favorite recent read:
The Yiddish Policeman's Union
by Michael Chabon
Wow, this book looks really interesting!
the last book I read was called "operating instructions" by anne lamott. It's all about her son's first year of life, which is fitting since I am pregnant with a boy!
Pick me! Pick me!! Ha ha! I recently re-read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. By far one of my most favorite books ever!
May I join in? When I get a good book I cannot put it down it seems, and like others I have been given wonderful books from your dear mom! Can I have more than one favorite? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (would love a sequel), The Help, *Same Kind of Different as Me* highly recommend, the Ralph Moody Books your mom loaned me (I devoured them while I was sick in Sept) These are just a few of the lovely places I traveled in written word.
Sounds great! I'm a biography reader! :) Currently reading Decision Points - George W's book and loving it!
I have been hitting up the local library the last couple of weeks and I must admit that it is the Tom Clancy novels that are gaining my biggest accolades at the moment. Apparently I really like loooong detailed military action books. But to be honest, anything that has words captures my attention for at least a little while.
I enjoyed Fatal Convictions by Singer :)
I have to say Shadow of the Almighty always stirs me, makes me remember a longing I had to go and serve others--to think there must be more to this life. And a fiction: School of Essential Ingredients. It made me crave the foods talked about, and I liked how the author intertwined all the characters and stories.
My latest read was "Lone Survivor" about a Navy Seal in Afghanistan whose team was killed on a mission. It's a true story and very interesting for the mother of a Army Ranger, although I can't recommend the book because of the language. I love true stories, so this book sounds right up my alley!
Debbi Weeks
Post a Comment