So I just have to leave a comment because this just happened the other day and I was totally caught off guard. I'm totally fine with nursing in public -- there are such cute nursing covers these days and it's obviously the best for your baby and easy when you're out in public. SO. I was out at the grocery store meandering the produce aisle when a mom and her older daughter (probably about 9 years old) walked past me and I did a double take because the mom was literally nursing her baby while walking through the grocery store. No cover, no nothing. Just pulled her shirt up, bared her entire stomach (which clearly had just given birth) and was showing the whole world! It was SO crazy!
Oh goodness, this is one of my various soapboxes. :) I'm all for nursing in public, cover or no cover. (And I am actually an extremely modest person.) Babies need to eat, and something is REALLY wrong with a society that worships body image and cleavage but who acts like the natural, God-given method of feeding a child is gross. (Personally I believe this stems from the separation of sexuality and procreation. IE our bodies are more for recreation than for sustaining life.)
Ok, so I'm all for breast feeding (being so experienced in this area, HA!) but I think it's kinda gross to see a big booby whipped out for all to see. I'm a girl... and I think it's weird. Jason's a guy and he thinks it's super weird. It's natural for sure but it's still a BOOB! Giving birth is natural too but I don't want everyone seeing...em, you know ;). I mean if you have noooo cover what so ever and your kid is starving...I'd do some fancy maneuvering but otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd use a cover...granted this is all "in public" talk...as in with other men. If I was at home with family or just girls that I know, totally different. :)
I have to comment as well. I'm on month 19 and counting of breastfeeding with my second daughter, and have been breastfeeding for all but five months of the last 3 1/2 years. So I've had to do a lot of nursing in a lot of places. When I am out in public, I always use a cover because that is my preference. I'm not the kind of person who likes to have any part of my skin on display, so while I do not have ANY problem with public breastfeeding, I did vote for the cover one because that's what I choose. I also do a lot of car-nursing, mostly to keep my older daughter corralled! There are many, many moms who are able to breastfeed very discreetly without using a cover but I was not that mom, so a cover works best for me. I honestly do not see any difference between feeding a baby a bottle in public and breastfeeding. It's serving the same thing. If you don't like it - LOOK AWAY! The only way that public breastfeeding will become "normal" is if more moms do it!!!
I'm perfectly fine with breastfeeding as long as a cover is used. I know it's natural, but I don't care to the 'ladies' hanging out for all to see...ESPECIALLY if my husband is in the room.
I think that it should be okay to do in public, but that modesty should ensue, just because we DO live in a society that worships the body, whether or not we like it. That in mind, we should be mindful of other men. At least that's what I'd appreciate around my husband. I've been around too many women that have whipped out their boobs in front of him and it perturbs/disturbs me.
I'm just getting too many awkward/dirty looks while nursing (with a cover!) in public. Like, what?? You want me to go sit in a bathroom stall so I don't bother you??
I really look at the social situation before making my choice of cover or excusing myself from the room which I think is the most important. I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding but I do think that there are times and places that maybe are not the most appropriate. Generally, I nurse openly (even have on the metra train riding into Chicago) since my 19 mo. old refuses to nurse with a cover on. Because of her hatred of covers, I usually excuse myself to another room if I am uncomfortable nursing in front of someone (usually men and my father-in-law). A lot of times, I go somewhere else because it is too distracting to my little one versus my attempts at being modest.
Definitely a touchy topic with many different factors that go into it...my overall answer, it depends!
Which reminded me...I was once in the middle of conversation with a women while working at a retail shop and she completely whipped out her boob over the top of her shirt and started nursing her 2 year old. I remember doing a double-take because I couldn't figure out how she got her boob out of the top of her shirt, it was slightly awkward.
12 comments:
So I just have to leave a comment because this just happened the other day and I was totally caught off guard. I'm totally fine with nursing in public -- there are such cute nursing covers these days and it's obviously the best for your baby and easy when you're out in public. SO. I was out at the grocery store meandering the produce aisle when a mom and her older daughter (probably about 9 years old) walked past me and I did a double take because the mom was literally nursing her baby while walking through the grocery store. No cover, no nothing. Just pulled her shirt up, bared her entire stomach (which clearly had just given birth) and was showing the whole world! It was SO crazy!
Oh goodness, this is one of my various soapboxes. :) I'm all for nursing in public, cover or no cover. (And I am actually an extremely modest person.) Babies need to eat, and something is REALLY wrong with a society that worships body image and cleavage but who acts like the natural, God-given method of feeding a child is gross. (Personally I believe this stems from the separation of sexuality and procreation. IE our bodies are more for recreation than for sustaining life.)
Ok, so I'm all for breast feeding (being so experienced in this area, HA!) but I think it's kinda gross to see a big booby whipped out for all to see. I'm a girl... and I think it's weird. Jason's a guy and he thinks it's super weird. It's natural for sure but it's still a BOOB! Giving birth is natural too but I don't want everyone seeing...em, you know ;). I mean if you have noooo cover what so ever and your kid is starving...I'd do some fancy maneuvering but otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd use a cover...granted this is all "in public" talk...as in with other men. If I was at home with family or just girls that I know, totally different. :)
I want to add that seeing a boob of a friend who's breast feeding isn't really weird. "Stranger boobs" are weird. :)
I have to comment as well. I'm on month 19 and counting of breastfeeding with my second daughter, and have been breastfeeding for all but five months of the last 3 1/2 years. So I've had to do a lot of nursing in a lot of places. When I am out in public, I always use a cover because that is my preference. I'm not the kind of person who likes to have any part of my skin on display, so while I do not have ANY problem with public breastfeeding, I did vote for the cover one because that's what I choose. I also do a lot of car-nursing, mostly to keep my older daughter corralled! There are many, many moms who are able to breastfeed very discreetly without using a cover but I was not that mom, so a cover works best for me. I honestly do not see any difference between feeding a baby a bottle in public and breastfeeding. It's serving the same thing. If you don't like it - LOOK AWAY! The only way that public breastfeeding will become "normal" is if more moms do it!!!
I'm perfectly fine with breastfeeding as long as a cover is used. I know it's natural, but I don't care to the 'ladies' hanging out for all to see...ESPECIALLY if my husband is in the room.
Oops. I meant - to SEE the 'ladies'.
Feeling the need to clarify that anytime I nurse, cover or no cover, I am discreet about it. :)
Suuuuuure Brianna! We know you let it all hang out! You crazy girl you :) hahaha
I believe you, Brianna. :-)
I think that it should be okay to do in public, but that modesty should ensue, just because we DO live in a society that worships the body, whether or not we like it. That in mind, we should be mindful of other men. At least that's what I'd appreciate around my husband. I've been around too many women that have whipped out their boobs in front of him and it perturbs/disturbs me.
I'm just getting too many awkward/dirty looks while nursing (with a cover!) in public. Like, what?? You want me to go sit in a bathroom stall so I don't bother you??
I really look at the social situation before making my choice of cover or excusing myself from the room which I think is the most important. I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding but I do think that there are times and places that maybe are not the most appropriate. Generally, I nurse openly (even have on the metra train riding into Chicago) since my 19 mo. old refuses to nurse with a cover on. Because of her hatred of covers, I usually excuse myself to another room if I am uncomfortable nursing in front of someone (usually men and my father-in-law). A lot of times, I go somewhere else because it is too distracting to my little one versus my attempts at being modest.
Definitely a touchy topic with many different factors that go into it...my overall answer, it depends!
Which reminded me...I was once in the middle of conversation with a women while working at a retail shop and she completely whipped out her boob over the top of her shirt and started nursing her 2 year old. I remember doing a double-take because I couldn't figure out how she got her boob out of the top of her shirt, it was slightly awkward.
Post a Comment