Wednesday, March 2, 2011

true love

I usually don't watch tv.  I wasn't raised with tv and Travis and I decided before we were married that we would choose to not have cable tv.  The basis of our decision was two-fold: (a) a tempting waste of time that we both would like to spend elsewhere, and (b) we didn't want to usher in the junk that is incessantly shoved at us via commercials and unwanted sitcoms.  If possible, we'd love to have just a couple of channels that showed sports and maybe a few cooking shows, but as that's not possible, we stick with our small, boxy tv and the three local channels that it offers.

So, I usually don't watch tv.  As in, I never turn on the box.  But, the other night I flipped the remote around while bouncing Summer and saw that "The Pursuit of Happyness" was on.  Which I watched.  And subsequently, it led me to flip the switch the following night to see if we could catch another good movie.  The Oscars was playing, and for the first time in both our lives, Trav and I watched the Oscars, while playing a game on our living room floor.  We now have a list of movies that we'd like to see, considering we haven't been to a theater in approximately 27 years and we haven't rented a movie since October.

After watching around 4-5 hours of television this past weekend, I was again reminded of why I find most television so saddening: the relationships.  Most relationships on tv are sexual.  Well, sex is gushing out of every crevice of The Box, and sooner than you like to think, your mind grows numb and your senses dull to the fact.  The husband/wife relationship is rarely upheld and never reverenced.  It's no wonder that with the introduction of tv in the home, the number of divorces and affairs has risen exponentially.

While I don't mean to slam the tv for every social problem our country experiences, I do think it's a relevant point.  And while we may just gloss over the numerous sexual innuendoes and learn to watch half naked women entice men without blushing, while we may laugh at the way women belittle their husbands and respect a woman/man who defends her/himself before her/his family, it's not the way things were meant to be.

I watched this video today via Justin Taylor's blog.  Here's his premise to the clip:

In 1990 Robertson McQuilkin resigned his post as president of Columbia Bible College and Graduate School, in order to care for his beloved wife Muriel, who stopped recognizing him in 1993 and went to be with the Lord in 2003 at the age of 81.


Someone had a tape recorder at his resignation speech, and you can watch a portion of it below. May God make us men like this:




This is the way it was meant to be.  For a man and woman to so cleave to one another, whole-heartedly and devotedly.  And yet, I cry while listening to this.  Because I want to be like Mr. McQuilken, selfless and sacrificial, all the while viewing it as a pleasure to serve my husband.  I know it doesn't begin, though, when Trav and I are 87 years old and frail.  That selfless and sacrificial serving begins now... and I need some major work.  Let this be a reminder that the way the world shows us to treat our families/spouses isn't true.  This is true.  And this is true love.

12 comments:

thetwistedruffle said...

what a great post. i spend too much time watching tv when i'm not homeschooling or cleaning or whatever, but i really do agree with you. there are some shows that my husband won't watch just for the reasons you say! it's a good reminder for sure!

rachieannie said...

That was so beautiful. You could hear both the love and the heartbreak in his voice ... what a Godly example. You're right, sacrifice doesn't begin down the road, it begins now. Something I often forget!

anna said...

Amen sistah Jenny. I too have been struck as of late with my lack of sacrificial service toward Jas. How I wish I was better...that it came easier. I guess it's called sacrificial for a reason, eh? We too have voted a firm "nay" on cable. It's a complete waste of time AND money. It's so stinking expensive. You can watch most things online anyway so there you go...although we don't really since our laptop speakers are so poor and we can barely hear, haha. Love ya girl

Kate said...

ok. bawled my head off. thanks for sharing that video. so so so sweet.

The Scott Family said...

Great post! That video was so touching. I catch myself ever.single.day doing or saying something I know doesn't bring glory to God or respect to my husband and vow to do better over and over. I know I will never be perfect, but I will keep trying to be the best wife I can be! Thanks for sharing this, it was a great reminder!

Elizabeth said...

you are SO right!!!!! it DOES desensitize us! I'm horrified at the thought of my son being exposed to the junk on t.v. someday!

Ebethteach said...

Oh I envy you and your commitment to keeping life simple. I will always strive and dream of being "that" couple. I am so glad I am not the only one who believes in the fairytale God based love!

Mama Mote said...

Reminds me of Jim Estes who visited his dear wife, Pat, every day at Sydney Creek until she went home to the Lord. And now he is with her. So sweet. And yes, I cried at this video. Thanks for sharing, Jenny.

Rob said...

Wonderful post. So sweet video. It made me cry.

Terra said...

I agree with you completely. The video you shared was so precious. What a great reminder of how we are to love!! Thanks, Jenny!

Dasa said...

Lol. That was supposed to be me, not Rob. But I am pretty sure he would love this post too.

Amy said...

this year was our first time to watch the whole oscars from beginning to end, as well. i agree with you--- i'd prefer not to have a tv in the house at all. i think the hubs would consider it nothing short of torture not to be able to watch sports (in hd no less)... so... yeah. anyway, good thoughts.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...