Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a conversation


In Bella's room, there's a glider chair and a baby wooden chair.  I use the glider to nurse Summer during her morning feedings.  Bella likes to "steal" the glider from me, right when she sees I'm getting ready to nurse.

Yesterday morning was no different.  As I picked Summer up from the changing table, I noticed Bella eyeing my moves and rushed to sit in the seat before I got to it.  I stood, silently waiting before the glider, watching to see what she would do next.  She avoided all eye-contact.

"Bella, can Mama have the chair to nurse Summer in?"

"It's MY chair.  You can sit over there."  She jerked a finger in the direction of the foot-high wooden chair.

"Bella, that's not the way you speak to Mama.  I asked to sit in the chair.  You know that's the chair I use to nurse Summer."

"I'm sitting here.  I nurse Summer here."  Her stubborn brow was set.


I sighed.  "Bella sweets.  Listen.  This is a time where you can really respect Mama and show me love.  When people are older than us, we can show love and respect by always offering the best and most comfortable things to them, because we want them to be comfortable!  Being kind is forgetting about what we want and doing what is best for others.  You love Mama, right?"

"Ya, I do."

"Okay, I know you do.  So, you want to give Mama what would be best for me, okay?"

"Can I do it by myself?  I want to do it by myself..."

"Do what by yourself?" not quite sure if she just understood my mini-sermon.

"Ask you by myself!!"

"Uhhh, sure."


"Mama?" she said, in her high sweet voice, quickly hopping off the glider.  "Here is 'dis chair for you.  It is the MOST comfortable and it is for YOU," she patted the seat, looking at me with high eyebrows.

Smiling, I took my seat.  "Thank you, dear Bells.  You are so kind to me."

"Yes, I am."


(Trying to get that girl to smile for the camera... keep getting her curly head... that face is too spunky for her own good.)

9 comments:

Karisa said...

Jenny, what a wonderful way to handle that. That same scenario used to happen to me all.the.time. I wish I had read this then!

Dacia said...

That is great!! You know what, my girls do the SAME thing with the rocker in kate's room when I nurse her there. Only they fight over who gets to sit in it right before I sit down. But after listening to your conversation, I sort of feel guilty for not being as kind about it as you. My response is usually something like, "girls, stop fighting over that chair! and both of you get up so I can feed your sister there!" and if they dint obey I usually send them to their room for disobeying! :-) your way is the godlier approach for sure. I'll try that next time! :-)

Katie&Greg said...

Oh that little girl of yours is such a little cutie! Way to go Momma in keeping with your patience and teaching ME a lesson! :)

Mallory said...

Wow, Jen! I hope that if we are blessed with children I can remember this! I admire your patience and using a time that could be frustrating and emotional and turning it into a learning experience (for all of us)!

The Scott Family said...

Bella is so cute :o)

Dasa said...

What a great way to handle this battle! Bella is too cute!

Amy said...

That sweet, spunky princess brings a tear to my eye with her cunning ways! I love hearing what she has to say.

donnasue said...

that was great jen! I thought she might just say that since you love her she should get the big and comfy glider chair but she didn't and a good lesson was had by all. thanks for sharing your morning challenge.

Mama Mote said...

Nicely done, Jenny. Your Bella amazes me at how quickly she figures out what you are trying to teach her. Hopefully, it sticks. You're dong good, little mama.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...