Tuesday, October 25, 2011

two noble aspirations, pt. 1

This week, I'm aspiring to begin two new things (that will hopefully last *at least* the rest of this week):
+ cooking/eating healthy* foods
+ cleaning one room per day

*"healthy" definition:
- less sugar
- less processed foods
- less carbs
- more fruits and veggies
- eat out less

does NOT mean:
- organic foods... 'tis for the birds, in my humble opinion
- no sugar... a girl's gotta have something to look forward to in life!
- any crazy cleansing methods... ya.

So... anyhoo.  I've hemmed and hawed for awhile now (i.e. my whole marital existence) how I hate cooking/meal planning.  But, while in Alabama, certain factors (via life and new-made friends) helped me embrace my role as cook.  I may not love it, but I can try and love it, instead of loving hating it.  Am I making sense?  I better roll up my sleeves and get movin', I decided.

Trav's a crazy-work-horse here in Kansas.  I am not finding enough desire time to get to the gym. Therefore, I'm trying to make yummy, healthy, well-proportioned meals.  It's actually not as a bad as it seemed... Here are two recipes I've enjoyed lately.  Both fell within my criteria (ingredients I regularly have around the house and fit within my budget).

Green Smoothie:
image
+ 1 banana
+ 1 (or 2, or 3) handful[s] of fresh spinach
+ a dash of milk
+ a handful of ice
+ 1 T of flax seed meal (since I have no clue as to what this even IS... I omitted this)

grind it up - and enjoy.  The banana flavor totally cancels the spinach... making it delish.  And healthy.  Spinach is the POWER veggie!


Smoked Turkey and Artichoke Panini:
image
This sandwich was ... uhh.... DIVINE.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any artichoke hearts on hand, so I improvised, but I can't wait to try it again.  I also just used sandwich bread, as that's all I had, but it worked.  The secret ingredient was her Garlic-Herb mayo.  Yummers.  To add a bit of crunch, I added slivered Granny-Smith apples... trust me.  So.Good.  We sided this with Tomato soup.  A spinach salad is a good alternative.

Here's the recipe.  In fact, if you're ever in a quandry on what to make for any occasion, one of my favorite cooking sites is this one: Our Best Bites.

Alrighty.  I wrote a lot.  Tomorrow I'll expand more on my second noble aspiration...
Go, ye, therefore, and cook!

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Flax seed is a great source of nutrients! You should be able to find flax meal in the gluten free section at the commissary (at least that's where it is in ours). The panini looks yummy!

jenny said...

Ha! Thanks Brittany... I knew it was probably something good for ya! :)

Katie&Greg said...

I have made that panini before! Super Yummy! I LOVE Our Best Bites! :) Oh and I have two tupperware containers of Flax Seed. Good for ya for sure.

Shannon said...

I've been seeing a LOT of those green smoothie recipes floating around on blogland and gave one a try last week as well! We used spinach, kale, banana, cucumber, celery, a spritz of lemon juice and 1/2 cup of OJ and ice...Yummo! Kensie even likes it and BEGS for more! Definitely a good way to get veggies between all the "mommy meals" (which usually means goldfish, pretzels and grilled cheese) Happy healthy eating--when possible anyway! :-)

Brianna Heldt said...

ha! i too think eating organic is for the birds, but am usually too embarrassed to admit it. but now i know i'm in good company! :)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...