Friday, November 18, 2011

let them play with pots and pans


By 7 a.m., I had already
{been awoken from a good dream}
{nursed a baby}
{been gouged in the eye}
{stripped a fully-urine-soaked bed}
{started a load of laundry}
{cleaned up spilled orange juice}
{reprimanded a whining child}
{wiped two bums}
{answered 14 "why?" questions}

... and all I wanted to do was shut the world out and crawl under the blanket of sleepy nothingness.  Yet, life goes on and children need their mother.  And while I hoped and prayed my dark cloud of grump would blow away as the morning droned on, it hasn't... to be honest.  I'm finding myself counting to 10 every time she falls off something she's not supposed to be climbing on, every time she spills something else, every time the little one won't let go of my leg, every time she whines, every time... I need patience.  They need grace.


In hopes of a small respite from the incessant questions and leg-hugging while I tried to whip up the mashed potatoes for Trav's work Thanksgiving party this afternoon, I opened up the tuperware/non-breakable items cabinet and let them have at it.  Bella's eyes were huge, as I've never let them play with the kitchen cabinet contents.

Sometimes, I just need to be reminded to let go a bit.  So, my strainer is smushed by Summer's cute bum.  And it's covered in her curious tongue-saliva.  So I'll have to wash virtually every dish housed in those cupboards.  They had fun.  And it was quiet - for a bit.  And those 20 minutes renewed a slight sense of peace.  Let them play with pots and pans.  These years are short...


And one day, I'll catch up on sleep.  Right, Ma and Pa??

3 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Oh so true. I hate those days when I stop and realize what a grouch I am - short with a sweet boy because he just wet and pooped his pants two minutes before I needed to leave for a drs. appointment - short in the car because he wouldn't stop complaining about the carseat straps - short because when I ask him to come do something it takes him 5 minutes just to move an inch. And in the end just ending up mad at myself for being in such a foul mood and so impatient with a little boy who is still learning how to live life and become a man. 20 minutes of pots and pans is good therapy for sure!

heather said...

i hear you.

Amy-Lynne said...

. ♥ . ♥ . ♥ .
L♥VE your honesty, with which every mother can identify! In answer to your question, YES, it does get better. Adult children are worth all the years trying your patience!
GOD is patient with us, and grants us the Grace we need. <'{{{><

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...