Wednesday, November 23, 2011

my family

Over the past year, after giving birth to my second child, I have felt a lot of freedom with embracing my role in life.  Meaning, the Lord has been teaching me what it means to be a mother, a wife, a homemaker.  Not without pain and stubbornness (on my part), mind you!  But, I have felt led in a very distinct way, and felt a freedom that I haven't necessarily known up until this point... that I know is from God.

I have felt peace - a number of times! - in the chaos of my house, while little Summer sits in my lap and Bella leans on my knee as I read Quick as a Cricket aloud for the 14th time that afternoon.  Peace, when there should be stress, because my home is a mess and dinner hasn't been prepared and I'm pooped.  But peace, nonetheless, because my girls need to be read to.  And I have the distinct privilege of doing just that.


I have felt a joy in cooking and preparing meals.  This, my friends, has never happened.  But, the more I try and cook "to the glory of God," a funny thing happens.  I find that I enjoy providing for my husband and children in this small, but significant way.

I have felt a freedom with my body not looking like it did 5 years ago.  Yes, I want to be healthy and fit, but the last couple months have proved impossible for me to go to the gym AND have happy children, healthy children, well-rested children.  The timing and schedule is all off.  And so, God has provided once more, and I just feel this freedom with my poochy tummy.  I see that I'm not rock-hard in certain areas, but I'm a woman who's born two children and I love the way I look.


All this to say, I'm thankful.  I'm thankful for God's faithfulness in bringing us through valleys.  I'm thankful for the immense freedom that's found in knowing and loving Him.  I'm thankful for my lot, O how richly blessed, in life.  I'm thankful for my dear, energetic, miraculous girls.  I'm ever so thankful for Travis.  

I'm thankful for washing machines, diapers, running water, electricity, the internet and my connectivity with YOU, for books, my piano, music, an abundance of food, brothers and sisters, Mama's and Daddy's.  I'm thankful for snuggles, Trav's job, our comfy bed, hot showers, chocolate, a big kitchen, laughter, my two daughters.  I'm thankful for words, tears, God's Word, sunny days, warm coats, the holidays, time with family.


Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Lou Ann said...

This post was such a blessing to my heart to read.

Brooke A. Jeffrey said...

I love this jenny. such a sweet reminder to enjoy where we are at in life - wherever God has us right now! love you sis

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...