Wednesday, January 18, 2012

granny print modernized

I kinda like granny stuff.  I love vintagey looking furniture, quilts 'round the home, old lamps, granny cook-ware. All things that I'd see in my grandparents' home, I love.  Alas, I married a man who is artsy and loves modern things.  Fortunately, he lets me do most of the decorating, yet he has put his foot down many a time when it comes to big things: like couches, tables, etc.

This, my friends, is why I LOVE thrift stores.  So many old goodies in there.  Especially prints!  Art!  I have picked up many a picture that I love to hang in the home.  Trav usually allows it, but he doesn't love it all, like I do.  IN STEPS PINTEREST.  Mmm... love that site.  Take this, for example:

Source
Love this idea!  I totally would have bought that print on the left.  And Trav would have hated it.  But... the one on the right??  Totally modern and lovely.  P.S. click on the "source" link under the picture for an amazing crafty blog.


In steps my pianist.  This picture caught my eye awhile back.  I liked it.  It would go perfectly above my piano... and so she did.  While I truly liked the idea of her: vintagey and a pianist... I never really loved her.

And when I saw this idea of painting OVER the picture, this picture was the first to pop in my mind for a makeover.  So glad I did.  It was a fun process of mixing paints... and very forgiving, as the paint underneath already forms a base and guide.


I also removed the cloudy, old glass from the frame and spray painted it in that lovely turquoise color that is everyone's favorite.  I now love the print and she so gracefully adds "pretty" to our piano area now...

A fun trick to try!  Give it a whirl and let me know how your project turned out!!

5 comments:

Dacia said...

you are so stinking crafty! what does trav think?

Emily Takes Photos said...

What a neat idea! I have a ton of paints sitting around from my school days, now maybe I'll put them to good use!

Cyndie said...

I love it! Nicely done.

Dina M said...

Very cool! I'll have to see what prints I can find at my Goodwill.

Nessa @{Casa Braaflat} said...

i love this idea. thift stores, don't mind if i do!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...