When I traveled to California for my Gramma's funeral, my mom and I cleaned her home that hasn't been lived in for quite a number of years. I came across some treasures along the way: old piano music.
Most of the music belong to my Great-Grandmother, Laurada Willis, and had been passed down to my Gramma, Constance Bracken. Amazing names, right? Like my father, I'm entranced by genealogies. Family history is so intriguing.
Since I'm one of the few that in the family that actually plays the piano, I was allowed to take my pick of all her music. Sorting through them was such fun. All the old titles - dating back to the late 1800's to mid-1900's. Some of the titles I just had to laugh at. Like this one:
And some were lacking some major P.C. ...
And some brought back sweet memories for my mom... like this one:
So, here they sat, in my home ... and I decided I needed to do something with them. Nothing grand, but I wanted to incorporate the art, beauty, and family aspect into our home. Along with all the rearranging of wall decor and furniture, I was able to make a nice little space above our dining table.
I chose four pieces that I liked best, either for their titles or the artwork on the front. The Indian on the top right was my first choice, because, well, I am part Cherokee and Travis loves to call me his little Indian. J












2 comments:
Looks great Jenny! Wasn't the penmanship back then just exquisite also? I could look at old handwritten letters all day....
I love this, Jenny! I didn't know your Grandma Bracken played the piano?! You were destined to love music ... it's not only in your heart but in your genes. VERY cool art; personal, precious and great history.
xo
Post a Comment