Sunday, May 20, 2012

sidewalk fun


I don't know about you, but I struggle with letting my kids craft - for a number of reasons:
(1) Summer eats crayons
(2) Summer eats chalk
(3) Summer eats everything
(4) Bella is clumsy
(5) I have carpet virtually everywhere in my home
(6) I don't like to clean unnecessary messes

The problem is: Bella is her father's child and LOVES art.  I usually limit coloring/painting to Summer's nap time, and if I'm in a good mood, I'll allow Bella to help me bake.

Yet.... I found a solution.  We tried it out today and it was quite the hit.  Of course, it also took place during Summer's nap time (see Reason #3), but it was pleasantly successful.


Sidewalk Chalk Paint.  Of course, I didn't make this recipe up on my own accord.  Pinterest is to thank.  Pinterest is ALWAYS to thank.  

The girl (and best friend neighbor) enjoyed herself immensely.  There was little to no clean up involved.  And now I have beautifully decorated sidewalks and driveway.  And I got a bit of a tan while watching the kids explore their inner artist.


Here's the recipe:
1 cup water
1 cup corn starch
food coloring

Mix the water and startch.  Separate into muffin slots and add food coloring.  Wa-la.

It's really kinda fun.  Go try it!

(My smiley face that Bella dubbed "Mama")

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Totally doing that tomorrow! Thanks for posting!

Kate said...

That looks interesting, Jenny. I want to try it, how well does it come off the sidewalk though?

Shannon said...

That DOES look fun! And I totally avoid crafty things with the kids for the EXACT same reasons.

Just last week while I was taking a shower, Kensie colored all over the dining table in pretty shades of blue and pink markers. Oh, kids....

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...