Monday, August 27, 2012

my second family

With the women from our squadron

On Thursday, we received some unexpected and disappointing news: we would not be moving in November (as we thought).  We would, in fact, not be moving for a whole 'nuther year.

To non-military folk, it's difficult to explain why we feel so anxious to move.  It could be that we've been through three rounds of friends, coming and moving, and we feel it's our turn.  Or the fact that in the last two years, we've been given three assignments, just to have them pulled from under us.  Or the fact that because Travis has been here so long (for a pilot), he is doing immeasurably more work than he technically should be for his rank or first assignment.

But, after the initial shock wore off, I chose to see the bright side.  Another year of familiarity.  Another year of beautiful fall weather.  Another year by our dear neighbors.  Another year of hot summer days (2013).  Another year of knowing the town I live in and having a Hobby Lobby.  Another year of knowing great babysitters and watching our girls grow in the house they were brought home from birth in.  A lot of pluses.

On Friday night, the base held a spouse appreciation banquet.  I went and was totally blessed.  After a week where my husband worked 15-16 hour days, in the midst of receiving our disheartening news, it was a perfect night.  I was surrounded by 200+ women who totally get our situation.  Get the ups and downs.  Get the uncertainty and vulnerabilities.  And women who choose to thrive.  Choose to love deeply and quickly.  Choose to be each others' second families.  I spoke with both of Trav's commanders - men who love the Lord and seek to follow Him.  And they both encouraged me in our "stuck-here-forever" plight.  It was a night that I soaked in the family God has blessed me with here.

Do what you can
with what you have
where you are at.

And yesterday at church, I was surrounded by so many familiar, dear faces.  People whom have loved our little family the past four and a half years.  People with whom our lives have intertwined in meaningful ways.  I, again, felt so full and thankful for our family of the church.

I'm not sure why God keeps deciding to keep us here for longer than normal.  I pray that I won't be blinded by what my desires are, but instead, keep trusting and looking for what He has planned in our remaining time.  As so many of my dear friends have wished me, "May this be our best year yet!"

4 comments:

Molly V said...

Oh, man, how we all at times wish we were somewhere else, or doing something else, or having something more...thanks for the reminder to do the best with what we've got. Love you Jenny!

donnasue said...

As much as my mother's heart wanted you and the fam closer to me, I am grateful for this great post of trust and obey and bloom where you are planted theology. I love you and your 2nd family dearly.

Janet said...

yes well said.
listen carefully to me
eat what is good, and delight
yourself in abundance

Mallory said...

What a blessing you are going to be to the new families who move to your neighborhood, with your welcoming spirit and knowledge of the area!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...