Our AC went out yesterday. When the repair man came, he saw that the unit was one big block of solid ice. While he's trying to explain to me how long it's going to take to thaw out, Summer was taking Bella's toys - causing Bella to scream - and Rhett was needing to be nursed. Meanwhile, I'm sweating uncontrollably in my sweltering home. Dinner needed to be fixed, Trav came home with bad deployment news, and all around it was just a sucky day. In the midst of all the chaos, I thought I heard the AC repair man say that I could keep the air on and soon I would feel cool air come through the vent.
Fast forward to today. The repair man stops by to see how the unit is thawing out. Immediately when he enters the house he says, how long has the air been on?
"Uhhh... I turned it on last night??" NOOOOO..... the FAN can remain on. The air must be off in order for the unit to thaw. Cue banging head against wall. One of those moments where you feel like a complete doofus. I should have known that. I should have done the math in my head... but life was a hubbub of a mess and I was distracted and... well, here we are. Still sitting in a warm oven of a house. My fault.
******
We had orientation today for the homeschooling group we're going to be apart of this year. It was good for me to go and wrap my head around what we'll be starting in a week. I will be using the next couple days of nap times to organize the "school room" and set up some sort of schedule. I hope to make some good friends through this community. Once again, it's always hard to be the "new girl." Many young women all chatting happily and as I was going up to meet a woman that looked to be a potential friend, another woman ran up and hugged her. "My best friend!! So glad we'll be together this year!" she exclaimed. Best Friend. Why is it so hard for me? Much of me feels jealous of these women that get to stay put and put down roots and have their children grow up together. I want a local best friend... heck, I just want a good friend. It'll come. Lord willing, we will make good friends. It just takes time, I know. Until then, I'll keep pushing myself out of my introverted box.
******
Through these two things (and multiple snippets throughout my days), I really find myself struggling with the truth of Romans 8:32 -
He who did not spare His own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
If God didn't even spare His own Son - His own SON - to redeem us and love us and make us His own, won't He then give us only what is good for us? The lack of AC, the deployment, the moving and ever-changing military lifestyle... all these are gifts for OUR GOOD from our Sovereignly Loving Father.
I had to preach it to myself (and my husband) last night as we lay on our sheets, trying to catch every whip of air that the fan provided. And I had to preach it to my lonesome self today. And I foresee having to preach it to myself often in the future. He will only give us GOOD. Not easy, not appealing, not always what we want... but Good. For He is good.






3 comments:
Oh my goodness. I hope your week gets better and the AC is back up and running soon. I was a military spouse for a few years. I just read this and thought I would pass it along...so funny and so true.
http://www.militaryspouse.com/articles/dreading-the-friendship-dating-scene,-again/
Yay for swimming pools and popsicles. Sorry about your AC. I know how that feels. I know how deployment feels. I know how having no friends in a brand new place feels. So, I'm saying I hear you. And I needed the small sermon too because though I have a fantastic husband and a sweet babe to take all my time, I really, REALLY need a good girlfriend... And, of course, all of those are hundreds of miles away.
Romans 8:32 is one of the verses that was in the kids' devotional this morning. I'm afraid that Hannah is also learning that "good" doesn't always mean fun.... hard lesson for all.
Post a Comment