Thursday, January 15, 2009

book review: january 2009


I finally finished "The Shack." It took me a lot longer than I thought it would (about a month), primarily because it didn't grab my attention. But I pushed through because (a) I had heard so many polar opposite opinions and views on it, I had to read it to know for myself what was going on in this literary "phenomenon," and (b) Travis and I had committed to reading it together while he was overseas. Travis finished it before I did - if that tells you anything...
I'll keep my book report simple and to the point. I did not care for the book. It was nothing "life-changing" or anywhere remotely close to "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan (to which it has been compared). The portrayal of God was theologically correct [in my view] throughout a majority of the book, yet, I saw it as not a complete representation of Whom God is. God was portrayed as a very loving, intimate God (which He surely is), yet His sovereignty or holiness was definitely not emphasize, if even present. That said, there was a lot that bothered me, simply because of my own taste in literature, not because of the theology (yet there was some of that as well).
Although I could see how someone struggling with the idea that God loves them and is not "out to get them" could be greatly influenced and touched by this book, I personally am not there. I see myself more as struggling to know how to relate to God as holy and worthy of all that I am. I struggle not with knowing that He is a personal God, rather how do I keep from being apathetic and blasé? How do I find reverence in my heart? How do I keep my spirit humble and contrite before him continually? These issues are not addressed in the book, thus, my lack of recommendation.
I could go on about how this book is dangerous for the society that we live in, how God is indeed sovereign over evil yet still good, etc., but I said I'd keep it short and simple. So, here you have it.

5 comments:

Gregory Jeffrey said...

i can't believe it's that warm!!! it's 26 right now in flag. i had an 8 o'clock class this morning. and it was on the other side of campus. enjoy your warmth!!!!

Bonnie said...

Bravo, Jenny. I felt much the same about The Shack. You expressed your thoughts and insight on the book very effectively.

joy said...

I took away a reminder that I personally need to have God be more central in my life versus Him being the top of my list that I can check off--yep, time spent with Him, check. But, I there were parts that were theologically sketchy to me. I agree with you, that a complete picture of God wasn't accurately portrayed. All that being said, I enjoyed the possibility of what the author presented, but wouldn't recommend this book to just anyone. I'd say you should be well-grounded in faith before reading this, so as not to develop a one-sided view of God from this. And, I haven't read Pilgrim's Progress (for shame, I know!), but I certainly can't see this book as comparable to a timeless classic such as that. Thanks for sharing. Since you like the Twilight series, I can totally respect your views on all books now. :)

rsoles said...

i absolutely agree with your review.

i never understood it's popularity.

Anonymous said...

This book is written as a piece of fiction, a story a father wrote for his children. It's not meant to be a theology book, and anyone who critics it that way is off base.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...