what is all the hype about this "etsy" stuff? i just don't get it. it reminds me of a big second-hand store filled with great ideas and quality items, but no organization. i've probably visited etsy 3 or 4 times and each time, i leave frustrated and confused. i mean, i understand the concept and i even have a friend or two that sell great stuff on it... but here's what frustrates me:
1. i go on, search for quilts (lets say), and it comes up with 32 pages of items to look at/choose from! that's just WAY too overwhelming... i'd rather not look.
2. a lot of this stuff... and i mean A LOT of this stuff, is basically people just creating something new out of something old or cast off... and really, the feeling it gives me deep down inside is that I SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE THAT MYSELF. call me prideful, but that's exactly what i think.
3. i get frustrated that people actually have time to BE CREATIVE and make this stuff... where did all my time go?? i want to be creative...
4. everytime i say the word, or hear it, or read it, it makes me want to put a "b" in front of it and say "betsy." i guess that's what i get growing up with a sister named betsy. maybe i should start calling her etsy.
>> but really, i just need some help appreciating the world of etsy. anyone have any thoughts about this website? love/hate relationship?? as of now, i'd much rather look at craigslist...




10 comments:
I kind of understand how you feel. Etsy is one of those stores that you really need to take time to browse. I have chosen a career that keeps me on the computer for quite sometime, so I always find myself perusing Etsy when I need a break from work. I don't shop on it regularly, but seeing other peoples' creativity serves as inspiration for me in my own field. Plus, you can bookmark sellers/items you like which comes in especially handy for birthdays and other gift-giving occasions. And as far as being able to make these things myself, I totally can, but I totally didn't :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickandmolly/3597871791/
AND
http://www.trulyengaging.com/simply-irresistible-buttons/
I agree with too much stuff to look at, David (my brother) sells some of his furniture that he has made on there and it takes me forever to find it.. ugh anoying...
I love Etsy - at times...
I sell jewelry on there occasionally - have no idea how people find me though!
I have found a few stores I love - then I mark the sellers as favorites.
It's also nice to see a favorite seller's favorite sellers...
I also have learned to be VERY specific in my searching:
cloth wipes, flannel, girl print...
Something like that.
And, most of all, you just have to waste time and explore - so easy to do with a new baby... Well, actually, sometimes it's my little mommy getaway during naptime :) :) :)
i admit i do love it. i never thought of the organization, but you are right about that. i love to browse. i've bought a couple things for gifts when i wanted to make something but couldn't (was on bedrest). i love to use it for ideas too. and i love the general concept of people buying and selling homemade. i totally support that. but yes, it also makes me think, "i could make that so i shouldn't buy it."
see, i felt the same way, but now i am in love. i don't go there looking for specific things...rather, i 'window shop'...basically, i click the 'children's' section and just scroll through a few pages. if something tickles my fancy, i check it out...maybe even buy it. but yes, lots of the stuff i can make myself, but lots of it i can't...or for the price listed, it wouldn't be worth my time to try to, you know? so, my point is, consider etsy like tj maxx or marshalls or ross...you don't go there with a purpose, but you might just come home with something anyway!
Jeanett hit the nail on the head! Is that the write saying? Anyways, what she said is exactly what I was going to say. It´s where you go when you are bored...not when you have a real a true mission to find something.
Jenny I know what you mean - I've thought all those things, especially the Betsy part :)
When I go on, I just have to be content with NOT SEEING ALL THE OPTIONS, which is hard for me. But I see it just like a big museum: it's not worth getting tired to see all of it.
Hey Jenny its your cousin David. Hope all is well. I think the thing with Etsy is that the members who sell items are to blame. When you post an item you must credit a profile for that object which includes listing key words. Those key words are what you type in the search engine when looking for something. The thing is some of the sellers are amateurs when is comes to advertising or picking the correct key words. So many of us use way too many words or generic and it becomes very difficult to locate a specific item. Anyway hope this helps a little. If not stick with Craig's list. :) If you have time check out modowlfurniture.etsy.com. Take care and say hi to the fam. for us.
I agree on the "overwhelming pages" thing as well- and I always think- I can make that myself- in fact I just might try. As far as time- I plain don't have time to get on the computer- let alone write a blog consistent enough- or read them consistent enough. Hotmail and blog are really all I have time to stay somewhat current on.
Post a Comment