Sunday, January 10, 2010

sewing on a cold day

I pulled out all my scraps today and began working on Bella's quilt again. It's a great "stop-n-go" quilt, which is what I need because I'm easily distracted (not by choice, but by Mommy-hood.) Even though it's a very simple quilt, it can get a bit tedious and boring. So I make it my goal to do at least 4 triangles per sitting, which makes up one square, which makes up 1/4 of a spiderweb. I need 15 spiderwebs in all for a twin bed.

I'm choosing not to sew the triangles into squares until I have completed all 192 triangles, so then I can mix and mingle the colors into what looks good together. Usually when I sit down for my allotted 4 triangles, I use the same/similar fabrics (i.e. what's close by and already cut up), so then those triangles wouldn't necessarily look good sewn together.

After I finished my 4 triangles this afternoon, however, I went in search of my other 12 triangles that I have completed - just so I could see how pretty they all looked together (& to hopefully stir up some more gumption inside of me to keep sewing. After all, Bella is napping...). Lo and behold, they are no where to be found! I'm freaking out just a little - hoping to GOD that I did not somehow throw them away during the hustle and bustle of all my sewing projects before Christmas. My sewing room is a mess, granted. Maybe this will inspire me to clean up a bit in there and organize my stash of yarn and fabric. Ugh... why does that never sound like fun??
---
P.S. I remembered where I left the other pieces and found them! Put them all together and I have 5 squares finished = 20 triangles.... got a lot left to do. My goal: before Bella moves into a big-girl bed - which will essentially be when we have another child. Seeing as I'm not pregnant now, I at least have 9 months. :-) I can do it!

3 comments:

Mama Mote said...

Very nice, Jenny. With the time I have now, I should really be using it a little more creatively. Maybe this will be incentive to find something I can do. Hope you find the rest of your triangles. Can't wait to see the finished project. And hope Bella takes a lot of naps for you to finish it. :)

Kate said...

oh jenny its gonna look so pretty!! i just sent off my cathedral window to a lady for her to finish because i just don't have the patience in me to finish it on my own. i know you can do this though... and its going to be gorgeous. bella is so lucky! what a beautiful treasure she'll have from you.

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

I love it Jenny!! Way to go! I admire you:) We need to catch up soon...but I am thankful for blogs that help us stay in touch in the meantime:)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...