I, like every mother and father, want my daughter to know she is beautiful.
From the moment we found out about our unborn baby's cleft lip and palate, I prayed all the harder for a boy, so our sweet daughter wouldn't have to deal with a scarred face. From the moment we found out, weeks later, we were having a girl, we immediately felt an uncanny sense of protection for her. We were clueless to the ropes of parenting and didn't have the slightest idea of how much we would truly & passionately love this daughter of ours, but we deeply desired for her to know that, no matter her looks, she is beautiful to us. Thus, we named her Bella.
Ever since she was born, she has received comments and stares from people, which is to be expected - for she looked different than other children. But those comments and stares always fell on Travis' and my shoulders - she was too young to comprehend her deformed face. We were the ones that needed to grow tough skin, be strong, hold back our eager tongues and threatening tears.
In the past two weeks, it's happened about three times. She gets ridiculed, or blatantly stared at, or told she looks weird. She's almost 18 months old and she's understanding a lot more than I think she does. I'm wondering when the day will come when she realizes that she's not "lovely", as the world defines it. Spunky, cute, full of life - yes. But lovely, not to the untrained eye. And being lovely means a lot to a girl, especially if you're going to hear about it all growing up.
So, it's up to us, her parents, to train her, guide her, enlighten her... that it's not what's on the outside that counts, but the inside. Inner beauty is more important than outer beauty. Beauty isn't everything. What people say don't matter. Don't worry about your looks, focus on your character. All phrases that are easy to say, but not so easy to believe... not even for me.
A couple days ago, however, after I got her ready for the day, I told her how pretty she looked. I was letting her try on her various summer hats she has stored away in her drawer. Putting her down, she ran to her Daddy and stood in front of him, still as could be. And that sweet man bent down, looked her all over and smiled enormously. "Ohhhh Bella! You look so pretty!" Amazingly enough, the girl blushed!!! She tilted her head to the side, smiled bashfully, and then looked up at him again, eager for more praise. Lifting her small body, he brought her to the mirror and showed her how pretty she was. You should have seen her smile - it was as bright as the sun. We eventually put her down and went about our business. Coming into the room moments later, I found her, still in front of the mirror, enamored with her reflection. Smiling, making faces, playing peek-a-boo, and staring some more - face aglow - she was lovely.
I understand that most children are enamored with their reflection and Bella is no exception. But, to my mother's heart, it was a precious moment for me. She was beautiful in her own eyes and I felt the need to sit back, soak it in, and treasure those moments. I know this area might be extremely difficult for her down the road, I know she'll be hurt many times, and I know that Travis and I will stroke her unruly hair and soothe her dampened spirit one day in the not too distant future. But, right now at 18-months old, she sees herself - uneven nostrils, flattened nose, stiffly scarred upper lip - and loves what she beholds. I can't help but think God is glorified in that small, little act.








22 comments:
glad to see you aren't letting her play with those electrical outlets...oh, wait.
At least they are covered...oh, wait.
It's called "Training-Your-Child-To-Obey-When-You-Say-"No"-101," Pat. I'll send you my copy once you start procreating.
beautiful. just beautiful. in a different way, but i can so relate. you made me cry. you suck. :)
So I'm sitting here crying. Thanks a lot! :)
Jenny this spoke to my heart on so many levels. Thank you.
I'm still processing your words--there is so much wisdom here--but I wanted to say I loved it, and I think Bella's gorgeous. I want my own girls to grow up free from the insecurities that come with being a woman. It's a tall order, but what a profound gift we can give to them. Thank you again for sharing your heart!!!
Tears here too, Jenny! There is so much I want to say, but for now, I will just say that Bella is beautiful to us. We no longer notice anything different about her face; she is just...Bella.
oh, jenny, what a true and heartfelt and difficult post. i think it's a challenge for us all to teach our girls and our boys that outward beauty is just that. as you said, easy to say. i, too, no longer notice anything different about her face. in fact, in one of your recent posts where travis is holding bella, i was thinking how much they look alike--through the nose and mouth and chin :) she is beautiful and being "different" will give her strength of character and a depth that so many lack. thanks for sharing. wish you were here so i could give you and Bella a big hug!
absolutely, God is glorified. absolutely!!
Oh, gifted jenny, this was inspiring. Bella is captivating. She has your eyes, and she is lovely. I'm so glad she has her daddy's loving and strong arms and your compassionate and courageous heart to enfold her in love. I really can't believe people make comments. How small are their hearts - how ugly their thoughts. Their scars run far deeper than sweet Bella's, but how sad that they would try to infect her with their venom. I will pray for a shield around you all.
Bella is a precious baby girl; I can see that and I've never even met her...and you need outlet covers, lady! It looks like she's about to stick her little finger into those plugs....sorry its my mom-mode...I can never escape it :)
Okay...so now I feel dumb because I noticed the earlier comments....oh well.
Wow. Well said, Jenny. Well said.
ditto to all the comments. love you. and bells.
Jenny, you've done it again. Made me cry, but for joy because you and Trav are amazing parents. God knew what HE was doing bringing Bella into your life. She is such a cutie and I love the videos when we get to hear her cute little voice, too. Thanks for sharing pics, videos and most of all, your heart. love and hugs to you all
Oh Jenny it breaks my heart that people can be so unkind to such a precious girl. Isaac looks forward to meeting his future wife and he'll tell her she's beautiful every single day! :)
Bella is such a sweetheart that does NOT deserve to have these things said to her! It just breaks my heart to hear of the things people say to her and a bout her! It just makes me want to pick her up and run away with her so she never has to deal with it. God definitely gave her the right mom and dad to protect her, though. God is so gracious! Praying for you, Travis, and sweet Bella!
I remember when my first baby was under two and not realizing how much he understood. I didn't know how much he could have held in his heart had I quoted Scripture, or prayed with him before each meal, or prayed for peace out loud when he fussed. Now with my twins being that age (our 4th and 5th) I have learned so much about how much they take in so little. I'd encourage you to continue to talk to her about her pretty heart, her lovely eyes, her happy spirit and her good attitude. Our kids all have flaws and deficiencies and I think it is one of the great arts of parenting to discover the beauty in your child (inside and outside) and highlight those areas from so little. As you've experienced, the world will point out their flaws soon enough - too soon, but Momma and Daddy matter so much more!!
The Lord made Bella this way and He finds his creation "Good". God bless her.
Jenny I am so amazed how beautiful Bella is, she is so cute, and I want her to know that her aunt and uncle just "adore" her. thank you for writing so beautifully your thoughts and words, and thank the Lord that Bella is so blessed to have a mommy and daddy who are beautiful also, and model God's love to her. i love you
My dearest Jenny, You are such an awesome parent by instilling in Bella the beauty from within. Sure, she'll look at the world's view of beauty but that is only outside. How many of those "beauties" have heartaches because they didn't work on the imprtance of the whole person. I love you and I adore and love Bella and God, in His gracious and sovereign ways knew what Bella needed in parents. You and Travis are the perfect momma and daddy for her and just keep doing what you are doing to nurture and help her to grow up into a beautiful Godly woman. Loads of Love, Nana
Beautiful Jenny...what you said is so true! I love the MN hat too:)
P.S. Just so you know....I am not telling you what to do as a parent...but just from an experience in my own life....we had a little cousin who fell on an uncovered outlet and hit his mouth,and his face got burned terribly ....and he wasn't being naughty...it was just an accident...just a thought from a sad learning experience.
Oh so sad, Claire! No, we really do have outlet covers in our home, just not that one in my bedroom, since I blow my hair dry there. I mean, she knows not to touch them, but I still have them covered b/c the consequence is too grave for the disobedience if it occurred.
Well said...I know...there are so many things like that in parenting, aren't there? Sometimes it seems like you just can't keep up with all of the dangers that our children face...but oh how blessed we are compared to so many of the world's families!! Our children don't face bombs and hunger...but our challenges are still so vast and real, trying to raise them in a culture that values wealth, independence and selfishness...thanks again for sharing. And that last one is what we are trying to help our children break free from....some days I just want to take Jonas and raise him in a remote village...but I would miss everyone so much!:)
Bella IS beautiful, and she's blessed beyond words to have such great parents. Just watch what she becomes!
Post a Comment