I randomly bought some mozzarella cheese the other day, just cuz it sounded so yummy (I LOVE cheese). Not knowing how to use it, other than eat the whole block and pack on some more pounds, I googled "mozzarella cheese." This amazing site came up. I've already used it a couple times for various recipes. None of the recipes seem too difficult or time consuming (a good thing, in my book!), and all of them have been yummy!
My girlfriends and I are seemingly always trying to find/trade recipes that are a) simple & b) enjoyed by the whole family. This one is definitely a keeper. Trav LOVES it (which is not too surprising, as he LOVES all food), Bella "Mmm-mmm's" through the whole meal (which isn't too surprising either, since she's a good eater), and I enjoy it (which says a lot, since I'm the pickiest eater in our family). Without further ado, here's the recipe:
Fresh Mozzarella Penne Pasta
(*with a bunch of my side notes/tips in red*)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes (I've bought the fresh stuff and the cheaper cheese and we actually prefer the cheaper mozzarella - both work)
3 medium tomatoes or 5 to 6 Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced (I always buy the cherry tomatoes and slice them in half)
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I find a half cup is a little much for my taste. I do about 4/5 of 1/2 a cup. :-))
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (I've actually never added this: never had it on hand. But I'm sure it'd be so yummy!)
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon coarse salt (I use sea salt)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoons crushed red pepper or to taste (Also never added this, for same reason)
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked penne pasta (I've always used Rotini pasta, just because that's what I had on hand)
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 medium tomatoes or 5 to 6 Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced (I always buy the cherry tomatoes and slice them in half)
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I find a half cup is a little much for my taste. I do about 4/5 of 1/2 a cup. :-))
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (I've actually never added this: never had it on hand. But I'm sure it'd be so yummy!)
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon coarse salt (I use sea salt)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoons crushed red pepper or to taste (Also never added this, for same reason)
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked penne pasta (I've always used Rotini pasta, just because that's what I had on hand)
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
In a large bowl, toss mozzarella cheese with tomatoes, avocados, garlic, olive oil, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pan to keep warm.
Add tomato mixture to prepared pasta and toss to coat thoroughly. Transfer onto individual serving plates and garnish with parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings. (This really does feed 4 adults and one baby quite nicely)
-- Make it and let me know what you think!!
And now onto the movie part of my title. I watched "Casablanca" for the first time last night. I don't know how that movie has slipped past me all this time, since I'm a lover of old movies. I found the VHS (yes, we still use a VCR) at the library and decided to borrow it. Loved it. A classic, in so many ways. And very redeemable. Sincerely loved it. Considering naming my next girl Ilsa.





14 comments:
That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing - I love trying to new recipes. Also, Casablanca is one of our favorites! Love the music :)
Watch how many food-related posts you make Jen...I don't want you stealing my readers!
I'm saving Casablanca until last on my list of movies to watch because I've heard so many good things! I LOVE old, classic movies...I didn't know you loved old movies as well! And, way to go on trying to cook more....I want to try this recipe!
Ilsa (or Elsa!) is an awesome name for a baby girl. My mom is Elisabeth, but called Elsa, and I highly recommend it!
That recipe looks delicious. We have been striving to only make fresh meals that don't come in a box, can, etc. That sauce would go perfect with our homemade noodles!
I am addicted to your love story too!
I just watched Casablanca for the first time this past Christmas. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I don't know what I thought it was about, but it wasn't what I thought. Glad you could have some fun time at home!
hi Jenny,
I have never commented on your blog before, but I read your blog like every day. Sorry to be a scary blog stalker. I figure I should comment cause I think it's probably creepy having strangers read your personal blog.
Anyway, I went to Northwestern and remember you from there but I don't think we ever met. I just remember your presence there, you were always really bubbly, positive and outgoing.
I love your blog! Your writing is so beautiful and so is your daughter. Just thought I would say "hello"
-rachel :)
What a great find, Jenny! I'll definitely be making that recipe! I love Casablanca too, it's one of my favorites. Although I love Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina" and Rosalind Russel in "The Women" (the original of course, not the remakes). :)
Oh also, there's a scene in Casablanca where there's a plane landing and there's a couple who says "maybe tomorrow we'll be on the plane." That was filmed at the Van Nuys airport in southern California!
Ooh Jamie, homemade noodles! Good striving - you're much more disciplined than I!
Rachel, thanks for reading! I'm sure if I saw your picture I'd recognize you. What years were you there? And I don't think you're creepy for "blog-stalking." I do it all the time! I don't see it as stalking...
Desiree - nice little CA trivia for the Casablanca! :-)
that sounds delicious! i'm always looking for a good pasta recipe that isn't too creamy or have a tomato sauce (i'm allergic to tomatoes). so with this one i could just pick the tomatoes out. thanks for sharing!
I was at NWC from 2001-2005, majored in graphic design, I don't think you would recognize me though!
Even now, I'm trying to do more cooking at home because I, too, don't like to cook. How does that happen? Anyway, wow, a cheese site, huh? Danielle would love that. I should pass it on. Glad to see you're trying to cook, too. I think my main thing was to give something to Dan that I knew he would enjoy and so far, the recipes I've found in the church cookbook have been winners. Some I've actually tried to tweak and it's worked. Whew! And classics are so fun to watch these days. They just don't make movies like they used to. Have you ever watched "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart. Cute movie! love and hugs
Jen we as a fam watched it up in mammoth during a vacation. I remember loving it too and you guys were obviously not into then.:) btw is your dish warm or room temp?
Post a Comment