Monday, March 1, 2010

"I'm a bad mom" story

At 8 o'clock a.m. sharp, after thirteen and a half hours of sleep, her sweet, sing-songy voice chirped lightly over the monitor.  "Mama.  Ka-Ee.  All gone.  Hi.  Eye.  No." etc... she talked with herself for a couple minutes before I rose to fetch her.  She sounded happy and hopefully healthier than yesterday.  Yesterday was a bad day - filled with high fevers; hoarse, raspy coughs; green snot; exhausted eyes.

I knocked on her door before I entered.  She loves when I do.  I'll wait until I hear a responding "knock-knock-knock" on her crib slats, and then walk in.  A little game just between Mama and baby.

"Hi baby!" I whisper to my sweet doll.

"HI!"  She quickly grabs her beloved kitty under one arm, before reaching up the other arm towards me.  Feeling her forehead, I notice she's not very warm.  Thank You, God! I mentally pray.

Chit-chatting together over her diaper change, I feel a surge of hope that the sickness - whatever it was - has left her tiny body.  She ate maybe one piece of food yesterday and I was anxious to get something into her empty tummy.  We sauntered downstairs, holding hands.  I cherish these sweet, quiet mornings together.  Each day, she shows me more of who she is and what she's becoming - truly treasured time.

I prepared some oatmeal and even sprinkled some blueberries (her favorite) in it.  Sitting her in her chair, we ask God's blessing on the food, then I set the bowl on her tray.

"No."  She shakes her head.

"Bella..." I encourage, "you need to eat some of it.  Aren't you hungry?"

"No."  More shaking of the head.

"Well, Mama just prepared this all for you.  I want you to take at least two bites.  Can you do that?"

"Ya."  She takes a small, timid bite.  Takes FOREVER to chew it down.

"Alright, Bel.  One more bite, okay?"

"No.  No!"  She is shaking her head back and forth now vehemently.

Frustrated, I look at her sternly.  "Bella.  Mama says you need to eat one more bite.  Open your mouth."

She reluctantly obeys.  Depositing the last bite into her mouth, I stay put until she's done chewing.

All of a sudden, her grey eyes get huge, she dry heaves twice, then proceeds to puke all over herself and me.  Multiple times.

Poor baby.  Stupid mom.

8 comments:

Cait said...

Poor sweetheart! She's so good for obeying even though she felt that way.

Joanie said...

Oh, yeah, I've been there. We totally don't foresee it coming, but now I've learned. If they truly can't eat, I know that something may be lurking. It sounds like you had a sweet morning otherwise!

Hope you feel better, Bella!

Kate said...

oh poor thing. that's awful. hope she gets better soon!

Melissa said...

Ugh! I hate those moments! You have such a sweet compliant girl! I hope she's back up and running soon! Don't worry---we've all had those "bad mom" moments. I'll pray for speedy recovery. And perhaps those cookies might be just right for you tomorrow morning! Let me know!!!

Tim and Melissa McBee said...

Well, I found about 22 things in this post that make you a wonderful mom!!

Miss James's Diary said...

I agree with Tim and Melissa! Absolutely!

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Oh boy-we all have moments like this for sure...Hey! I am headed out to your beloved state to visit my dear friend Bristol who lives in Berkeley for the week...reminds me of the adventure we had in 2004 (so many years ago!)...when we locked the keys in the car and got really tan/burnt! Miss you!

Kristen Borland said...

oh you are SO not a bad mom, and i'll prove it. we've ALL been there, misinterpreting our kids, often with puke as the result! and another thing, as i read your story i just kept thinking what a GREAT mom you are for having such a lovely attitude in the morning. i cannot remember the last time i was so easy-going in the morning, remembering to do the little things that make the morning a special time. for me, morning (and all day, frankly) has been just about survival recently. i haven't even thought about trying to be nice in the morning! very convicting!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...