(If you've missed the whole story that preceeds this epilogue, don't worry! Click here and get caught up to speed)
Epilogue
And so began our married life: two becoming one, vowing my life to selflessly love Travis more than I loved myself.
How naïve I was to believe this was to be a pleasant, relatively easy road to traipse upon. For as June 10 commenced and we bid our friends and family adieu, I began my new life. One that has been a myriad of possibly more downs than ups; one that has taken more gumption and self-will to persevere through than any other area in my life; one that has left me speculating at who I was, who I am, and what my purpose is in life.
Between our disappointing wedding night to our nightmare of a honeymoon; moving two times within our first two months of marriage; being very alone during our first year while Travis worked an insane job (military pilot training); finding out disappointing news in our next military assignment; two more moves in our second year; our surprise pregnancy; having a special needs child; three deployments in our third year and even more temporary trips throughout the weeks, it’s been quite the ride, to say the least.
Real life set in fast, and within weeks of our wedding day we had found ourselves on more than one occasion in tears, asking, “How are we married???” Long-distance dating proved to be forgiving, in the sense that we never saw one another for longer than 3-day stints, and used a phone for communicating. Our compatibility was not our highest forte, and our communication techniques were in some dire need of help. I found myself quickly hating who I was becoming: namely, a bitter, angry, lackluster, holed-up woman who had gone from one degree of what she thought life entailed to the polar opposite. It took a good year and a half for us to come to terms with where God had us, surrendering what we wanted for what He wanted. But that’s a different story for a different time…
Nevertheless, with each and every upheaval that life brought our way, we inexplicably loved one another. Travis, true to his nature, was constantly patient and tender with me. I, whilst discovering our conflicting and differing interests and life-goals, desired him and knew deep down that I couldn’t live without him. Sometimes, it was so uncanny, our love for one another – a love that ran deep, that only could be provided by God alone – that I would marvel at how we were brought together and remained together. While mentioning this to my mother over the phone during that first year of marriage, she remarked, “You know, Jen, I can’t help but think that our God put you two together to glorify Himself. He saw you, Jenny, and thought, ‘Whom shall I pair her with so I can get the most glory?’ And he picked Travis. While an amazing man, you two are opposites in nearly every way. And so He caused you to fall in love and to blindly declare your lives bound to one another. Here He is, faithful to His name and His promises, bringing you through every trial and suffering. He is making you into a better person, and hopefully more like Himself, all the while glorifying Himself in this strange and mysterious union between Travis and Jenny.”
And while that may not be entirely God’s plan or what He had/has intended for us, as my mother was just speculating, I find great hope and truth in her statement. Isn’t that just like my God, to create possible out of impossible? To bring beauty from ashes? To create love when there was nothing?
Marriage is an uphill battle – one that must be fought for every day. I’ve heard there are marriages out in the great, wide yonder that are easy. That need no work. That survive on compatibility and natural love. That kind of marriage, my friends, I have yet to experience. I say this not because I am a pessimist, or because marriage has opened my eyes to “the real world”, or because life with Travis is awful. Because it simply is not. We all know, after reading our story, that he is my better half. That men like him are rare and hard to find. That with him, my life is incredibly blessed. However, loving someone more than you love yourself is nigh to impossible. Sacrificing your wants for the good of your spouse can be tortuous. Combining two contradicting personalities and fascinations to create a family does not come naturally. Marriage must be preciously and lovingly tended, like a garden, each and every day to protect from weeds of discord and the drought of easy communication.
War is tiresome and tricky. Gardening can be grueling and demanding. But in the end, when the battle is won and our gardens are lush and full of great, mighty oaks with glorious blooms bursting in every which way, soft green moss padding our bare, weathered feet, we will know it was a battle worth fighting for; an Eden worth every ounce of attention and act of nurturing we bestowed.




13 comments:
Couldn't have explained marriage better myself :) I'm glad to know my husband and I aren't the only ones who fight like cats & dogs, yet love each other eternally. I couldn't imagine my life without him. I can't imagine anyone more perfect for me, even though I hate being taught numerous lessons in selflessness through him! Ha. Blessings, Jenny. Thank you for sharing! And to think, your wedding day was only the beginning. Really, you're probably only in the middle of your love story now!
Of all the enjoyable chapters (and I confess I've missed a couple), your epilogue may be my favorite! Well put! I smile thinking of the way we always come back to loving our not-always-easy-to-love mates. And I learn how to be an easier-to-love person in return!
God is good. Your story definitely exemplifies that!
Beautifully written, Jenny. I think you have summed up what many of us have gone through...the many changes and unexpected things that we never imagined would happen in just 4 years of marriage. I have loved your whole love story...so precious and from your heart :) Thank you for sharing it with us!
Disappointing wedding night and nightmare honeymoon?? Oh no, did i miss a chapter of your story?? I don't remember hearing about that part!
I'm with Kristen... Sounds like a good story that we've missed:-). Thanks so much for posting this. It has been a wonderful read and I'm sorry that it's "over". You should write a novel.
Jenny,
You did such a great job recounting your story. I really enjoyed it!! I think a lot of what you described in your epilogue is just reality for many people but it isn't talked about too much. And when newlyweds experience those first few years and the hard stuff, they can feel like something is wrong. It's refreshing and good to talk about the realities of marriage. But God does His thing and creates so much beauty out of our messes. And really, all of those messes just make up our story, which will be told to our children as the years pass and the milestones of faith pile up. You two have a lot of years ahead...it'll be exciting to see what God has for your family next.
Love,
Nikki
PS: Is anyone's wedding night the night they thought it would be? Someone canceled our reservation on accident and rented out our room to someone else (at a B &B so there weren't many rooms) and we had nowhere to stay or go for awhile. It eventually got fixed after many hours...my poor husband had no idea what to do. We laugh about it now.
Wow. I'm sad that's done, too. But a beautiful story, and one that leaves me encouraged more than you could ever know!
wonderful story Jenny. Every time I read another chapter it made me miss you and our days at Northwestern all the more. Thanks for writing it, it truly is a beautiful story that is I'm sure very pleasing to our Lord.
Nightmare of a honeymoon???
I know, I know... my wedding night and honeymoon were not the best should be stories in and of themselves. I am such a tease just saying that and leaving you all in the dark. My closest friends know the stories... :-)
You are a tease young woman! I'm dying to know the inside wedding night/honeymoon stories. You are also an incredibly gifted writer and a godly woman who truly inspires me. Thank you for sharing your story with the world (I have a feeling that it impacted the lives and hearts of people that you will never meet).
Jenny,
I've loved reading your love story! I never knew how you guys got together so it has been amazing reading all about it. You're such a great writer, I'm sad it's over!
:) ~Katie
Why was your wedding night disappointing?
Post a Comment