Tuesday, November 16, 2010

stability - even at 26

DAY 7: A PHOTO OF SOMEONE YOU LOVE


I love these two: my parental unit.  This was taken recently, when they visited South Korea to see my sister and bro-in-law.  I believe they were on some sort of bike ride.  I love how ruggedly handsome my dad looks, and I love my mom's beautifully aging face.  I say, "beautifully aging" because I love how my mom is aging.  I only see her *maybe* twice a year and each time, it surprises me at how her age is showing.  But, I love it.  I know she'll read this and think, "Thanks, Jen..." but I really do love her wrinkles and skin.  She's 56.  Thirty years my senior.  She has lived the majority of her life as a mother of five, rearing and training, weeping and praising, through sorrow and joy.  She's loved my dad and he's loved her.  They've fought through difficult times and taught us children what it means to be honest and genuine and true.  My mom's not concerned with striving to look younger than she is.  She doesn't do the fluff and foo-foo.  She just is who she is, and she's content (or learning to be...).  I am blessed by her.

My mom's parents divorced when she was thirty-years old.  When I was a child, I remember her telling me the story of when she heard the news and how she wept.  I remember thinking, "But you were thirty, Mom.  It's not like they were really your parents anymore..."  Oh how naive I was.  The stability and truth and joy the union of my parents brings me is undeniable - even as a young mom myself.  Thank you for that gift, Ma and Pa.  I love you two.

9 comments:

Ana Oh said...

Awww this is so sweet. Funny I also did my mother today. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents!

Lou Ann said...

Knowing your parents, and loving them too, I weep with joy for your tribute. They do model all that you say, and it is what endears all who have been privileged to know them. Your words are a gift to them that are priceless.

Dacia said...

i love this! you are truly blessed by them!

Mama Mote said...

I love your parents and miss them so much. You have been blessed with them and they have been blessed with you and your siblings. What a beautiful picture and what a wonderful family - and growing family. Thanks for sharing this pic. Yes, your mom is aging gracefully. love you

Nikki said...

Whenever Steve and I think of parents we want to be like, one of the couples we think of is your parents. By God's grace, they did well and were faithful. I know they've been a blessing to you personally but their example has blessed many others as well.

Kate said...

I LOVE THEM TOO!

Karisa said...

First of all, your parents sound amazing. :-)

This really struck me because my parents divorced when I was 28. It has had such a huge impact on me and my three younger siblings, and will continue to do so. It is very encouraging for me to know that your mom experienced a similar thing and yet has been able to maintain her own long-term marriage. Thanks for sharing, as always.

Liv said...

wow! Is all I can say!
Why is it men age more handsomely? I do agree with you about your Mom- I want to age gracefully just like that- content with my skin and hair color- I think there is something DEEPLY beautiful about it, and your Mom does it very well!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...