Friday, December 17, 2010

Summer Noël - the name

Hi friends!  We're home and getting settled.  We have no family in town, and while it has been a different experience than last time, it's been good to just be the four of us and focus on each individual.  So many emotions running around in each one of us - it's really nuts.  A lot of joy, that's for sure.  A lot of fatigue.  A lot of new feelings.  Etc.  I'll expound more in later posts.

For now, I'll share a couple things about this sweet angel that you might want to know:

Summer Noël
The name.  We had such a hard time picking a name, namely because nothing seemed to fit.  But while my mom was out a couple months ago, Summer came up by random, and it struck all of us as perfect.  We love summertime - the warmth, joy, friendships, activities, etc - and all that it brings.  To think of this girl as being our little piece of summer in the dreaded winter time was perfect.  Noël was brought up a number of times, simply because of her due date.  Trav was never too fond of it, so I let it pass.  But then, when I was starting to have regular contractions, he looked at me and said, "I think Noël sounds perfect."  I was thrilled and Noël it was.

Her size.  Bella weighed in at 8 lbs. 7 oz. at birth.  This little peanut?  6 even.  Trav and I can't get over how tiny she is.  Everything about her is petite.  The thing I can't understand is that I tried a lot during Bella's pregnancy to eat healthily and never had a huge appetite increase.  With Summer, I ate like a pig.  Go figure.

Her birthday.  12 days early.  PRAISE THE LORD.  I don't have a favorite child, but if we're going off of size, timely arrival, and trauma during labor/birthing... well... so far, Summer's made quite a nice impression on me.  :-)

Nursing.  I never did it with Bella.  One word.  Ouch.  No, make that OUCH.

Must run... Most of you have asked for birth story and how Bella is taking to her new sister.  Consider those posts in the making...

18 comments:

Dasa said...

Jenny, I love the name! Awesome and fits perfectly. We are happy for you guys! Hope everything will go well! Can't wait to read the birth story :-D
Enjoy your family! I would totally bring you some delicious meal if I would be down the street!

Erika said...

She is such a DOLL and I love her name!! It is absolutely perfect!! I'm so happy that you had her early and that this time around was soooo much easier! Yay...God is good :)

Brianna Heldt said...

SO sweet! LOVE the name, and what a precious girl she is! CONGRATULATIONS!

And, YES, nursing is AWful in the beginning. Every.single.one. of my three babies, nursing hurt SO incredibly much in the beginning. The books say it doesn't hurt if they're latched on correctly, but that is WRONG. The lactation consultant said everything was fine, but oh my goodness it was horrible. Then, after awhile, it got better. I love nursing, but it is challenging.

All of that to say, hang in there sweet mama!!!! Congratulations again!

Karisa said...

I love her name. And how fun that she is so tiny. And you are SO lucky that she came early!

As for the nursing, I found it challenging for the first four weeks. Honestly. In retrospect, I do think part of it was her latch, but it was still rough. I would do the deep breathing that I used during my contractions! Anyway, do stick with it and call on any resources that you have. It is worth it. :-)

Enjoy your precious little family of four.

Amanda B. said...

I love her name. I had a feeling it had to do with your favorite time of year! Plus you have Bella June, so summertime is everywhere in your house!

Nursing just plain sucks to begin with. I know some women gush over how amazing it is...umm not me, I cried I think for the first two weeks straight it was so frustrating. It gets easier with time, but I'll admit I did not enjoy it really at all. Glad I did it, but don't look forward to doing it again someday.

I hope you all are snuggling down in for a quiet, cozy, restful (if possible!) Christmas and enjoying your growing family!

Anonymous said...

Loved hearing your story thus far, and like the other women said, nursing does hurt, and I didn't find a lot of joy in it. Aaron took too long and I have found it MUCH easier and more like me (I like being in control of what he eats, what I pump, I don't see myself as a nursing-in-public type), so I just pump for him. I'm SO happy/proud that Aaron hasn't had a touch of formula in 6 months, and pumping just works for me. So...continue to give it time and grace and patience, and hopefully it'll work for you, no matter how you choose to give her your own milk! Just take it one day at a time! Can't wait for more stories!

Joy. said...

can't wait for the upcoming posts! she is a TINY peanut. I can't believe how much she looks like Bella!!!!! wow. . . so beautiful. so happy and excited for you guys.

Kristen Borland said...

oh she is so precious!!!

Kate said...

Jen, I love that picture of her. Shes so much more alert looking only a day later. What a doll.

Michelle said...

I love her name! Definitely fits in perfectly with your family. :) She is SUCH a tiny little peanut, how sweet!

Kali said...

I love that picture of her! Trav's hand gives her size perspective -- teeny!

And like everyone else already told you with the nursing, just give it some time. You'll turn a corner soon and then it will be no big deal. I remember crying everytime Caroline needed to eat it hurt so badly, but that passed within a couple weeks. Someone suggested those little gel patches that you can put on between feedings and they made a HUGE difference for me! They're a little pricey, but definitely worth every penny (and you can re-use them a few times). I know Gerber makes some, and Lansinoh -- and I think they sell them at Target. Hang in there, girl!

rachieannie said...

What a precious peanut! She is gorgeous - congratulations to you and your family!!

Amy said...

I'm SO happy for you all!

Caryl said...

Congratulations! And Happy Early Merry Christmas!

You'll turn the corner on nursing, but don't make yourself nuts over it =)

Enjoy your family,
Caryl

Our Life Together said...

Congratulations Jenny, Travis and Bella. Summer is beautiful, love the name.

I've never breast feed (obviously) but one of my friends is and was having a hard time, she used a nipple shield and she says she enjoys the experience much more now. Good luck, I hope everything continues to go well and I can't wait to hear about the birth and how Bella is doing.

Amy-Lynne said...

ஐ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ *ஐ

“Every good thing given
and every perfect Gift
is from Above, coming down from
the FATHER of Lights, with whom
there is no variation or shifting shadow.”
.. . . ~ James 1:17 NASB

ஐ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ * ~ _ ~ *ஐ

*
Welcome, Summer Noel, to planet earth! Your arrival brings great Joy and high Hopes!!! May you early come to know JESUS, The Greatest Gift of all!!! <'{{{><

Lisa Leonard said...

absolutely thrilled for your little family and celebrating with you. welcome sweet summer. you are precious!

Priscilla Rynning said...

CONGRATULATIONS you 4!!!! beautiful little family!! Blessings and hugs!!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...