Wednesday, July 6, 2011

movie review: July '11


Foyle's War

My parents got me hooked on this daggum TV series while I holidayed with them last month.  Described as a British detective television series set during WWII, I was a bit skeptical at first.  But, given the fact that I was a spouse of a deployed husband, my girls retiring to bed at an early hour, and otherwise friendless in my hometown... I resorted to watching an episode with the 'rents.  So glad I did.  

While each episode is fictional, the events surround the storyline are purely historical and could have been taken right out of real life during the 1940-'45 era in England.  The whole series is immaculately clean (no swearing, sex, gore) YET still interesting and fun to watch.  I highly recommend these series.  There are six series altogether... and here is the best part:
You can find them at your library!!

I know... wonderful, eh?  Or, if you have a teeny tiny library and do Netflix, they are available via that revenue.  Trav and I have been borrowing the 1st season from the library and quite look forward to our evenings after the girls go down.  I just picked up a new one from the library today... DATE NIGHT!!  :-)

Alright, if you see any of these, let me know what you think, kapeesh?

7 comments:

Stephanie Tang said...

British AND mystery!? That's right up my alley. Looks like the SLO library doesn't have Foyle's War in right now. I can always drive over the grade... :-) Thanks for the recommendation.

Carrie Haughey said...

Added it to our Netflix queue! Now to see if I can get Kyle to watch it with me! :)

Nikki said...

Ummmm...WE LOVE FOYLE'S WAR! We've watched every.single.one and they are so excellent. The last few that take place post war, aren't as good. But Foyle, he is just excellent and the background of World War 2 is so fascinating and great to watch. I'm excited you guys have discovered Foyle's (can you tell?). Enjoy it. We miss it now that we've watched them all.

anna said...

We just reserved the first set from our biblioteca. Thanks for the rec. We've been looking for a new non-mind polluting series.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny,
I seen em. I love Michael Kitchen so much- he's so smooth, isn't he? My husband's parents say that he is the spitting image of his great grandfather from England, mannerisms and everything. Pretty cool! I know you probably haven't explored the English drama, but you really should if you like this. I would start with The Way We Live Now (I think you'd like the romance between Paul and Hetta!) or Wives and Daughters. Anyways, had to weigh in on this discussion. Love your blog, truly, I can identify with your feelings, parenting, and your tastes for projects. Remember back to the Apple Farm Outlet days?!

jenny said...

Kelly! Ahhh... so good to hear from you. Yes, we LOVE Michael Kitchen... Trav and I like to imitate him during our days. So smooth... :-)

I want to read your blog... do you have one? Oh, and I LOVE Wives and Daughters.

Anonymous said...

I do have a blog, but I'm not as devoted to keeping it up as you are. In fact, I'm more devoted to reading yours than writing in mine. :^) But please check it out:

thetaleofawriter.blogspot.com

I know you've done some writing projects in the past... do you write any fiction?

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...