I finally finished touching up my state canvases and hung them on the wall this afternoon. Bella and Summer both made me feel so crafty and proud of myself as we walked up the stairs to nap time. Bella exclaiming, "Look Mom! Look at the wall!" and Summer cooing, "Oooohhh..." while trying to knock every last one of them off.
These were so fun and super easy. You don't have to be "crafty" to finish one, just be able to hold a paint brush and make some fine lines. :) Read to get started?? Here's what you'll need:
- canvas. I chose 10"x10". $5.99 + 30% off at Hobby Lobby.
- pencil
- scissors
- paint brushes/sponge. Preferably paint brushes in varying sizes, especially a small/fine tipped one.
- acrylic paint of your color scheme.
Alright, first off, this could be used for any household, but it's special to us military folk since we move around so much. The 4 states I chose are states that we've lived in together. I did choose to leave out Washington state, seeing as we were only there for 3 weeks after we were hitched, and we lived in a hotel all the while. Nevertheless, Trav thinks I should make one for Washington, so I'll humor him as I use it as a mock tutorial.
STEP ONE: get on your computer and google "Washington state outline". Or whatever state you're choosing. Find one that fits appropriately on your canvas and print it out. My states are not all scaled to the same size. I simply chose ones that were around the same size and went with it.
STEP TWO: once your state is printed, cut around the perimeter of the state, being careful to get all those river-y/coastal borders (or if you're choosing Colorado, you're spoiled).
STEP THREE: use a small piece of tape to position the state as you would like it on your canvas. Then, trace around it lightly with a pencil.
| I'm totally not doing Washington now JUST because of all those islands and inlets!! Crazy town... |
STEP FIVE: let dry and do a double coat/touch-ups with the paint. One coat wasn't enough to give a full coverage, so I found that two seemed sufficient and made the states "pop" a bit more.
| Where we both grew up and met. Never stationed in CA, but it's our dream! |
STEP SIX: place a heart where you live{d}/were stationed, etc.
| Where Bella was conceived... :) |
| Where both our girls were born... |
Enjoy your new decor!





15 comments:
I LOVE this and I am totally doing it! However, please feel my pain as I tell you the wild-bordered coastal states I have to tackle: Massachusetts, California (not too bad), Florida and Virginia. We are in need of a good Plains state! ;-)
so cute, jenny! i love this idea, especially if you've lived in different states. love the colors!
joy
Love this, Jenny; you're so clever! And I especially love the colour scheme you chose (basically the colours of my new website, minus the orange)!
Thanks ladies!!
@Karisa - OOH, I feel your pain! :)
@ Emily, I'm LOVING the grey with saffron/aqua right now...
These look great! I will definitely be trying these. About how long did it take you to do one? Just wondering how much time I need to put aside! I've gone to pinterest, but still not sure how it all works, (invite, pinning, etc.)
Love them! But I'm wondering one thing...what is the next state gonna be??
Love this idea- I may have to steal it!
Dina - one probably took ... oh... 45 min? Then I let it sit overnight and touched it up the next day. Not too long!
Amanda - I only wish I knew!!
Elizabeth - steal away!
you know i love it!!
and i have to add that kate was conceived in altus too! :-)
Jenny, you are so creative. I love your zeal for building memories for your kids. You are one super mom! Love you and miss you. Nana
Of course, I lloovvee this!
These turned out GREAT Jenny! You should be very proud of yourself. Now if only we had lived in more than one state....I'll have to keep this logged away somewhere for later if we ever move :). Seriously, I love how creative you are.
Love it! Can't wait to try it out! :)
awesome idea! looks great!
Jenny, I met you a long time ago in Columbus at the Marlin's Bible study. I'm over here from Amanda B's blog -- love this idea. . . I want to do something like this, for sure!
Post a Comment