I get awfully distracted by the internet. *sigh* In so many ways, the internet can be, and is, a good thing. Especially as a stay-at-home mom, it helps me feel connected to adults and the outside world, when in reality, this winter has kept me homebound. I love being able to keep up with family and friends from afar by the click of a button. I'm thankful for the internet.
But... it's my vice, as well. I look forward to my time "alone" with the internet way too much. And often, I find it a comforting source, especially when my husband's away as much as he is. I look to the internet as a companion, something to do, etc. When this realization hit me {as it did the other night in bed}, I grew sad. Because, honestly, I know this shouldn't be.
Don't get me wrong. I love to blog. I love to write. I love to stay connected. And I really love pinterest. I love ideas. I love people's creativity. I love reading the news at the click of a button. I love so much of it. And I don't think it's wrong in any way. I just know I need a break. I need some time to focus my satisfaction and "comfort-food" somewhere else. Somewhere - where it should be.
I want this time to be a refreshment. A lesson in discipline to turn to other things {like, the Word, Travis, my children, a handwritten letter...} before the computer. A lesson in discipline to seek FIRST His Word. Simply, a lesson in denying myself. Not as a glutton seeking punishment, but as a learner seeking a fast.
I'll be back by March. I'll also be checking my email, in case anyone direly needs me. :)
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
~ Isaiah 55:2 ~




8 comments:
Oh I will miss you here. But I totally understand. I had to chuckle since I am currently wasting/filling my time while Joshua is late a work studying for a big test tomorrow, both boys are in bed and I am just feeling plain old lonely...maybe I should log off too...
ok...i'll really miss hearing from your blog. but i respect your decision. :) love you
awe man. i'm gonna miss your writing jenny and your pics and videos. you better text me a lot!
Awh dang it. I decided to browse blogs tonight--in direct disobedience to the Word that I haven't spent any time in today that was calling my name ... and yours was the first I pulled up. Darn you ... :) Thanks for the conviction. I needed it!
You're awesome!!!!! Thanks for being such an amazing example! It's an honor to know you and your wonderful family! I pray for God's blessing on you all!
Umm it's March and I've been missing you. Don't get me wrong, I totally think it's great to step away, but we aren't neighbors and I need some Jenny to make me laugh! Your sweet girls always make me smile.
While I totally understand being unplugged know your missed! I've loved reading your blog. Hope you're being refreshed and soaking up your family!
Laura
Agreed. miss your posts... Makes me miss you friend. Hope you are getting refreshed but I hope so see you back online soon, me over here across the ocean needs a little Jenny in her day!
Post a Comment