Friday, March 9, 2012
a cleft update
Last night, we traveled up to our nearest Children's Hospital for Bella's annual Cleft Lip/Palate clinic (which took place today). It's the one day a year that she sees doctors relating to every level of having a cleft lip/palate:
- dentist
- surgeon
- speech pathologist
- nutritionist
- social worker
- ENT
- hearing checked
We verbally prepared her beforehand for what would take place (lots of prodding and poking - two things she's not so fond of, especially when it comes to her mouth). She did good, overall. The first doctor she saw was the dentist. Didn't go so well. She actually screamed her head off and burst little blood vessels around her eyes. That's my Bella! :) But she and I had a heart-to-heart afterwards, while she went potty, and she was able to control her fear better with the remaining doctors. The conversation went something like this:
B: I just don't want to see any more doctors! *sniffling still*
Me: I know, Bella, but we have to. And, in fact, we're going to see at least one more doctor that's going to want to look in your mouth again.
B: *starts crying again* But I don't want to have them do that anymore. I don't want to DO IT ANYMORE!!
Me: Bella. It'll be okay. Nothing will hurt, they just want to see. Be brave, baby. Mama and Daddy are going to be there the whole time.
B: But I just don't wanna!!
Me: Why not? What are you feeling?
B: I'm just scared and I don't wanna.
Me: Why are you scared?
B: I just don't like them touching my mouth and teeth and stuff. It's MY mouth.
Me: I know, sweetheart. But these doctors are just trying to help you. They won't be unkind. I would never let anyone unkind touch you. You just must be brave.
The whole thing just breaks my Mama's heart. Watching her sit on the potty, with her tan little legs dangling and she's crying that she just doesn't want anyone to touch her mouth anymore. I just about said, "I hear ya, sister! Let's bust this joint!" But I didn't. And we didn't. We were brave and she rock-starred the rest of the day.
I left with heavy emotions, as I often do when thinking about what lies ahead for our girl. Speech therapy needs to be started right away. The rest will follow in 4-5 years.
First, she'll need a palate expansion to prepare her for the bone grafting of her gums.
Then, the bone grafting surgery, which will require two surgeries, spaced six months apart because of the enormity of the surgeries.
Then, another expansion of her palate, along with braces.
Another surgery on her upper lip/nose.
And when she's anywhere from 16-19 years old, jaw surgery, to repair her severe under-bite.
Today was the first time we heard all the details laid out in a timeline. If you would have held a stethoscope up to my heart at that moment you would have heard one word beating over and over: UGH. If I could take her place, I would. In a heartbeat. The surgeries sound tough, there's no doubt about it. But the emotional trip this will be sounds tougher. All I can do is pray, even though it seems like an impossibly stupid, NOT-GOING-TO-HAPPEN prayer request, that our Bella girl will rise above the teasing, the lost friendships, the potential boys going after Summer instead of her, the initial weird stares, and believe-know she is loved beyond measure and beautiful beyond compare. I pray she will know and TRUST that she is made perfectly in His image and nothing could make her more precious.
It seems an impossible prayer because, well, doesn't every woman struggle with self-image issues at one point or another? And it seems improbable, because, well, she has a scarred face. But, I'm going to pray it anyhow. I'm going to pray and pray and teach and rear and instruct and mirror and PRAY my darndest for it to be just so. And I'm going to Pray my knees off for that girl... because I'm her mother. And I love her so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
brought tears to my eyes and a pray offered up.
Tears Jenny, tears. God knew exactly what He was doing when He gave that little Bella to you. I know you don't think so but YOU are brave, with God's strength, and I'm so proud of how you've handled this trial. Whenever I think of you and your family, I pray for you and always just want God to bless you all. I'll keep doing so.
Love, Nikki
Crying with you and praying for your little darling ... What a treasure she is to you, and what a gift you are to her.
Oh I just love your little girl. She is just so precious. My prayers will be offered up for her as well. And a darling man will someday sweep her off her feet and tell her just how beautiful and lovely he thinks she is every single day!
Thanks for sharing! I think the most incredible thing about our God is how he redeems. I'm sure there are fears with the future but you have such a precious gift in Bella (as you know).
I love following along, thanks for always being REAL. It's refreshing :)
~Laura
Tears to this mommy's eyes. We had our Bekah to IA City Pediatric Urology Specialists yesterday for a complete workup - none of which should require anything further like your Bella will have, but was still such a difficult trip! If only there was a military base here in NE Iowa I feel like our girls would be kindred spirits (not because of physical problems, but things you write about Bella saying could be things Bekah said!!)
I've commented once or twice on cleft issues (my cousin was born with one and has had most of what Bella will face - he's 9 now, so it is a long road). I think Miss Bella's firecracker personality is going to go a long way with cleft comments and questions from strangers - I can absolutely picture her challenging anyone to question why this should matter when it comes to knowing her as person.
I understand your fears about her future, but I can also imagine a future where people don't like precious Summer because she doesn't have curly hair like Bella (as Summer is currently bald, it's hard to know!). Kids are truly wonderful in that they can look past the obvious (a scar), be more direct about it (what is that?), get an answer and move on to knowing a person. (Kids can also tease, yes, but it may not even be over what we even could imagine is an issue. I didn't have the right shoes in 3rd grade, for instance. Completely out of my control - and my parents.)
So many people are rooting for her, and for you, that I know one day,as an adult, Bella is going go up to another child with a cleft-surgery scar and share her secret: she has one, too, and could you even tell? (True story, happened to my cousin & his parents when he was a wee preschooler. It was a truly hopeful moment. I know you will have this in your future, too.)
Sorry for the length of this comment, but I wanted you to know that you have reached a lot of people with your honesty and your journey thus far.
"with man this is impossible, but with God..." : ). If he can save us, He can sanctify us. I think Bella will know the difference between God's love and the world's lack, between real beauty and skin-deep, between true friends and the crowd, between love and mere physical attraction in a way that saves her from so many of the fruitless, misdirected days so many of us waste. She will know these things because God is God and because of the godly parents she has that pray their darndest for what only He makes possible. My prayers for you all through the tough-ies.
Hi Jenny,
I don't have cleft issues, but I did have a palate expander as a kid and wore an ultra-nerdy chin cup from my ortho for my underbite. Long story but I stopped wearing it b/c we moved and switched orthodontists so ended up having to have reconstructive surgery on my jaw at 19 or 20. But the chin cup was really, really working. Maybe that is one option for Bells.
oh friend.
i stinking HATE clinic dates. ours look different, but feel the same. i'm so sorry. those surgeries sound so hard. for both of you. i pray the same prayers for my jilly...the teasing, the passing over, the weird looks...i want her to know she is more precious than rubies. i will be praying for both of our girls. and their siblings who are going to be their best allies and friends. they will have beautiful hearts. all of them. be confident in that.
I love that girl. and i love hearing your heart for her. greg and i are praying for bella, as well as for you and trav through all of this. you guys are doing a fantastic job trusting Him.
I love you dear Jenny, and loved hearing about the doctor appointments. Wow, I wish I could have been there with you all, to have another shoulder to cry on. You are amazing, and Daddy is too !!
We will pray more effectively now that we know the details, but I am asking God to make her a confident brave child of God, equipped for all that lies ahead, and our God can do it all !
My heart is still crying because I would like to take Bella's place. She is such a trooper though and that is what will get her through the coming years. What a testimony God is preparing through your entire family. You are awesome parents and God knew you would be or He wouldn't have given Bella to you. Your lessons of His love for her and the beauty in her that He has created will sustain her. May you feel that also. She is an inspiration to all of us and I love all of you SO MUCH, Nana
I have never met Bella, but oh, I adore her. I love her spunk, honesty, and beautiful scarred face. I will be praying for her, as well.
You are so woderful calming her fears and giving her the opportunity to express them to you.
What blessings you all have in each other.
Post a Comment