Thursday, March 8, 2012
"Downton" and our language
I'm probably the LAST one to jump on this bandwagon... but ...
I just finished watching "Downton Abbey", Season 1.
Loving it.
Notwithstanding the titillating storyline, I'm loving the language.
You see, I'm rather a nerd when it comes to words. And I'm rather an old woman when it comes to watching movies/tv. People mumble all too often rendering me unable to catch their meaning. Especially when people speak in accents. Thus, I use closed captioning QUITE OFTEN. Like, any time it's available.
"Downton Abbey" is no exception. In conjunction with allowing me access to the on-screen conversations, I'm blown away in awe at the vocabulary and exquisite beauty in which these people spoke a mere 100 years ago. Being able to see it written out at the bottom of my screen makes much more of a lasting impression than straining my ear to hear every last bit. And I find myself often pondering how I can employ a vocabulary more robust and vibrant than my dreary, every-day usage. Am I convincing you?? :)
You see, in Shakespeare's day, he had a working vocabulary of 54,000 words. 54,000!!! We, in America today, use 3,000 words. THREE-thousand. Lame-o.
I leave you with three admonitions:
1. Watch "Downton Abbey." It's stupendous.
2. Watch this humorous video on the subject of languages. Really, it's a hoot.
3. Use BIGGER/BETTER/BEAUTIFUL words today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Oh Jenny, you read my mind...just finished season 2! Love love love!
"this knots my knickers!" so great! :)
Oh, you are lucky my friend because you need not wait to view season two, which in my opinion is vastly superior to season one. ;)
Yes! You got into Downton. Season 2 is really great(loved it) but it also has some quirky things about it that I could've done without...but still GREAT! Glad you like it-I knew you would. Also nice to have you "back".
Love, Nikki
nope, I have not seen Downton Abbey yet, but I know I will have to watch it soon, because EVERYONE is talking about it and telling me I should watch it!
Kyle has to have captions on too. All the time! Drives me nuts, but I secretly like them now too... *sigh*
The 3 little pigs video is awesome!
That video was excellent! Also, I totally use closed captioning, too. ;)
Ha, ha, Ha! Thank you so much for sharing that video! Wonderful!
Post a Comment