Wednesday, March 7, 2012

implications

My break was needed.  I was able to step away from the busyness of the internet and take a good long look at it.  I found that:
- I don't really like facebook.  Useless status updates and lots of blither-blabber.  BUT... also lots of pictures of friends' newborn babes, interesting life-changing announcements, and a way to plan events.
- My children need me off the computer more than on.
- The internet is incredibly helpful at giving me delicious recipes and yummy dinner ideas.  Irreplaceable.
- I love blogging.  But I want it to be worthwhile.  I want to use it to point people to the main Reason I live, even if it's in the undertones of my voice.  But I don't want to be fake.  And for that reason, I must be living for the Reason I live in order to write honestly about Him.

My husband and I also had a lot of re-configuring to do.  With the amount of his absence, it's easy to feel distant and apart.  And for the past six years of marriage, I was under the illusion that maybe, someday, things would fall into place.  He'd see my loneliness and carve out time.  I'd see his need for affection and love, and suddenly become more willing to give.  One day, his job would slack and he'd have more time at home.  Right??  RIGHT??

Well, we finally sat down and decided to be INTENTIONAL.  Awkward as it might be, we need to schedule time with each other.  Many embarrassed giggles were exchanged as we planned for a weekly talk that we'll have, and exactly how we'll go about conversing.  We need to plan {write-in-our-planners} for "alone time" throughout the week.  We need to teach each other to communicate and how we feel loved.  It feels EXTREMELY elementary and rather queer {in the original sense of the word}, but without intentionality, change just won't happen.  Planning time to talk and love doesn't exact make the books for the most ROMANTIC way of relating, but it's a beginning and a learning process, right??

Anyone else ever try this approach to marriage-strengthening?  Tell us your tricks and tried-and-true solutions.  Marriage is a life-long learning process, I believe.  One that will drive you to your knees, if we're humble.  And I want humility.


On a simpler note, Summer takes the cake for being my mess-loving child.  And dirt-eating child.  And Daddy-preferring child.  And waking-at-ungodly-hours child.  And sweetest-melt-my-heart child.

There's been lots of reading, sewing, and crafting 'round these parts.
Lots of cooking, cleaning, and children, too.

I'll be back with more later.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Good post J. I too feel like Trav and I should make planned time to be alone. Oh, how nice it would be to have a regular date night. Thanks for the good idea. I'm glad that you and your Trav have decided to do this...what a great way to intentionally and purposefully connect with each other. I pray that it will bring wonderful results. :)

Cyndie said...

Hi Jenny,
Welcome back. Here is a account of our quest for communication.
http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/devotions/tenkeys.htm

And another idea:
http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/devotions/howdoing.htm

jenny said...

Thanks, Kate. I wanted to specify that we're not necessarily planning "dates", but just time to be ALONE (either after the girls go down or something else) and TALK - no phones, movies, games... relate about what's going on in our hearts/life. At least an hour or two a week.

Amanda B. said...

Love it Jenny! Do you all have any ideas for how you will do this when he is deployed or TDY? Joshua and I are all ears since he's up for his first real deployment this fall and I am clueless as to how to make it 7 months with out our time together.

Shannon said...

Interesting that you mentioned this. We tried several weeks ago to simply have a conversation (NOT related to work or kids) without the TV or computers on..and ya..it was kind of awkward. Why is that? This man I've been married to for almost seven years now and it's feels forced to try and connect?? You always explain things so well. Makes us all feel connected.

Hey, I also tagged you in a fun little "get to know me" game on my blog. Only if you want of course...
http://greg-shannon-mulder.blogspot.com/2012/03/ive-been-tagged-get-to-know-me.html

Nic said...

Try this website : http://www.the-generous-wife.com/

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...