Wednesday, March 21, 2012

one thing I love in my home

My brother-in-law looked at me quizzically, as I lovingly smoothed the puckered lines on my quilt.  "So you really like sewing and putting a quilt together??" his low voice boomed in my unequivocally feminine guest room.  I giggled as I looked at my quilts.  "No, I mean, wow... that's cool.  I would just think, 'What a waste of time!' if someone told me I had to make a blanket."

"James!"  Betsy protected my feelings.


Laughing again, I reassured him.  "No, I totally get it.  Just the same way I think your watching hours of basketball is a complete waste of time."  We all laughed now.  "Yes, I love sewing.  I love putting a quilt together.  Mind you, not every step is a dream come true.  The sewing is long.  The piecing is laborious.  But, the outcome is what I love most."

"Why?"  he probed, dumbfounded that anyone could love a silly blanket so much.

Hmmm... "I love unique things.  Homemade quilts are never something you can just run to Bed, Bath & Beyond and pick up for $50.  Each one is unique and special.  I love that they last - unlike a silly basketball game - and are handed down through the years.  I love the color, the feel of the fabric, the warmth.  I love the stories that they tell.  The memories that they hold.  See here?  This quilt that I just made already has memories..."
"This is a from a dress I made Bella for her 2nd 4th of July..."

"And this, from another dress I made Bella."

"And this, THIS needs no explaining..."  :-)

"The backing is an old Seasame Street vintage sheet I found at a thrift store.
I knew the girls would love it.  So soft and worn."

Quilts have a way with me.  They bring out my ever-hiding romanticky side.  My quilts are never perfect.  And some of them are tied with yarn because I simply cannot quilt with my cheap sewing machine.  But, each one is loved, used, and adds that bit of color I so love in a home.  


Random pieces, memorable scraps: a perfect red-and-white picnic blanket for the summer.  We can't wait to use it!

2 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Oh if I could sew I would be right there with you making quilts. Unfortunately mine would be more to laugh at than enjoy.

Karisa said...

I totally get this! I've just started quilting, but I love it. I love that they can hold so much significance. I've got several planned for my upcoming winter in MT with my mother-in-law (who taught me to sew). Hopefully by the time my husband gets home, I'll have a few to show off!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...