My parents have visited the Czech Republic for the past two summers, teaching an English camp for high school students. They are about to head out again, and in preparation for their trip, my Dad bought my Mom this book:
She finished it last week with those familiar stars in her eyes and with a word of encouragement to read it myself. I did, in a few short days, and have spent the better part of my afternoon weeping for the lives of so many Czechs during the mid-1900's.
The back of the book summarizes well what's inside Kovaly's, a Jewish woman living in Prague during WWII, short (192 pgs) memoir:
While this book is gripping and horrific, it is uplifting in spite of it all. While Heda shows her reader what she suffered, she uses decency not to get too graphic, which I (a sensitive-stomach-reader) appreciate.
And because I love learning, especially learning through a GOOD BOOK and memoir, I am doing a GIVEAWAY. Simply enter a comment at the end of this post, telling me anything you know about the Czech Republic (even if it's that it's in Europe!), and you're entered to win a copy of Under a Cruel Star. I'll pick a winner on Friday. Enjoy!
![]() |
| Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague 1941-1968 by Heda Margolius Kovaly |
The back of the book summarizes well what's inside Kovaly's, a Jewish woman living in Prague during WWII, short (192 pgs) memoir:
Heda Margolius Kovaly's steady gaze at the lives caught up in Czechoslovakia's tragic fate under the Nazis and then during the Stalin era illuminates the chaotic life of a nation. Kovaly was deported to concentration camps, escaped from a death march, nearly starved in the postwar years, only to be shattered by her husband's conviction ... and his execution.What the back of the book doesn't say is how you'll fall in love with the Czechoslovakian people, weep for the misery that they endured decade after decade. You'll come to see and understand why they turned to Communism, and how they later longed for freedom. You'll love the human spirit to live, the innate fight for what is right, even when evil prevails. You'll fall in love with Heda and her country, Czechoslovakia.
While this book is gripping and horrific, it is uplifting in spite of it all. While Heda shows her reader what she suffered, she uses decency not to get too graphic, which I (a sensitive-stomach-reader) appreciate.
And because I love learning, especially learning through a GOOD BOOK and memoir, I am doing a GIVEAWAY. Simply enter a comment at the end of this post, telling me anything you know about the Czech Republic (even if it's that it's in Europe!), and you're entered to win a copy of Under a Cruel Star. I'll pick a winner on Friday. Enjoy!





22 comments:
Jenny - Thanks for the book recommendation! I have picked up a few of the books you've recommended (currently Motherhood in the Trenches) and each of them have been good. Let's see...what do I know about Czechoslavakia? Well, I know that my husband's ancestors are from there! -Charlotte
I love all your posts for different reasons but I specially love this one! Czechoslovakia owns my heart. Forever. There is no place like home. I am so glad your parents got to experience it!
I have this book on my list, thanks to your mamma! I loved Prague, Charles Bridge, PUBLIC TRASPORTATION (got me all around the week with Emilie), Prague Castle, the Jewish quarter with all its rich history, walking,walking, walking and trdelnik (oooh so good) and the walking helps to use the calories! And one most favorite is that ALL say good by when leaving an establishment of any sort, even stores. It is consider rude not to "Na shledanou" and clerk and customer, even if you do not purchase anything gives this greeting.
Wow, this sounds like a great read, and I could definitely use some recommendations for summer reading! I really don't know much about Czechoslovakia, other than that it's in Europe and went through some of the same things as Poland and Ukraine politically. I'd love to learn more!
Hmmmm...I don't know much of anything...which is why I REALLy need this book!
I don't really know much about the Czech Republic so I looked up a fact online.
It is slightly smaller than South Carolina.
Thanks for the giveaway!
yay! i want this book. i don't know a lot about the Czech either. But i did visit Germany, Poland and Ukraine in college, and because of that, i feel like i've tasted a bit of what the Czech is like today. from what mom and dad say about it, i'd love to visit that country someday.
Hmmm...no clue! Prague is there! :) Either way I'm going to read this book...looks great!
Always love your book recommendations! And I love literature on the WWII era, as morbid as that may seem. Don't know a lot about the Czech other than that Dan spent a little time there in college and loved it...and that there's a really cool bridge in Prague :)
Hi Jenny, this is Aunt Debbie, I would love a chance for the book. It seems very interesting and I know I would grow in character by reading it...Prague is the capitol of the Czech Republic! And Czech Republic is just about smack middle of Europe. Lastly, I used to date a boy from the Czech Republic when I was in Junior College! So do I qualify for the draw? Good Luck Aunt Debbie! Love you Jenny Girl.
Looks fascinating!
I learned just yesterday that barely anyone actually speaks Czech?! That's what someone said on Jeopardy...
I know that the Velvet Revolution happened in Czech in 1989 (?)--people walked through the streets jingling keys instead of turning to violent means. I also have been told that Prague is just as beautiful (if not moreso) than Paris. :)
I'd love to read it! I don't know anything about the Czech Republic. :( But... um... not sure if I have an address anymore. ;)
Anyway, please tell me you've read The Hiding Place? If you haven't plan on getting a copy from me sometime before the year is out. :)
This is so embarrassing, but I can't think of anything I know about the Czech Republic other than Prague is a city there. I will add this book to my reading list!
It's in Europe ;)
Hmmm...I think my brother-in-law has been there on a missions trip a few years ago. I, however, know very little about the Czech Republic. It would be a good idea for me to read this book. It's a must to add to my reading list. You always suggest such good ones!
Czech used to be called Czechoslovakia, does that count?
It is part of the Eastern Europe Slavic nations.
praying for those involved in fires in Colorado Springs !
Did my last comment go? the czech is a gorgeous country - especially in the spring! Gentle rolling green hills, fields of mustard... and crazy drivers! I was there with NWC the summer after our freshman year... totally made me fall in love with everything Europe. We did english ministry as well as worked with refugees and orphanages. I have super fond memories of that trip. Prague is simply stunning at dusk! :)
-- Jaime
hmmm! I don't really know anything either but I am fascinated by the whole history of this and would like to learn more! Sounds like a good book- I added it to my "got to read list" when the hubs is deployed! :)
Embarrassingly, I know very little about Czechoslovakia. I knew it was in Europe, but now I also know that it's surrounded by more "well known" countries (at least to me) like Poland, Ukraine, Austria, and Germany. Would love to win and read the book! Thanks for doing a give away!
I want that book!! It looks amazing. Pick me! Pick me!!
i'm entering into the giveaway because i do know some things about czech republic. in fact, i just took a day trip to Prague when i was in Germany last month. and the book does sound really interesting too as i've been thinking more about that time period...
i know that Prague was voted best city in europe. and i will agree that it was pretty great. castles and cathedrals and old buildings and winding cobble stone streets, mingled with newer parts of the city filled with shopping malls and stores and restaurants. it was a little crazy but worth the day trip.
Post a Comment