We visited a new-to-us park in a neighboring town yesterday. It was lovely. The first not-blistering hot day in quite some time. Fall is sneaking in, and I am not completely dreading it. I played with our camera and the manual settings. Realized I have so far to go in that arena. The girls threw sticks and rocks into the pond, and Travis played the cautious-Dad role, as he is prone to do whenever he gets little-to-no time with his two daughters.
I thought about how much I love our children, and how I long to have another. I thought about how difficult mothering is - good mothering - and how it frightens me to have more children. Travis and I talked about his job and how stressful it's been. Such long, draining hours. How does one avoid that? Or does one roll with the punches and plaster a smile on one's face? Before he leaves for a deployment, he works his tail off. Then he's gone, and he realizes how God and family are the most important things of all. We vow to make changes. Sacrifice work and extracurricular instead of God and family. Then, the Homecoming... and life inevitably falls back into the same routine. How do you stop the cycle?? We don't know... it's a heavy burden.
I've been thinking much about who I am and what I do. I'm a mother. A wife. Those most over all. My children are growing and with their growth, I need to grow too. This is Bella's last year before kindergarten. We've never enrolled her in preschool, and I'm treasuring this last year of "laziness" and togetherness. I'm beginning to school her a bit every week with reading and numbers... and it's helping me decide what we want to do in the future: homeschool? Public? We still need to know where we'll be living in order to make the final decision.
If we homeschool, I know life will look different. I need to be more organized and scheduled with my time. I already feel a need to pour more intellect in to my girls' lives. I'm here, caring for their needs, but now they're growing beyond the basic needs. They need teaching, and direction, and answers, and how-to's. They need the Lord, and every-day looks into how He is almighty in our lives. They need music and reading and outside. Which, in turn, means, I need less computer. Less internet. More reading and asking the Lord to pour into me, for Heaven knows I have no strength on my own.
Not quite sure what life will look like in these coming years... but I know I'm ready for a bit of change too. I'm ready for Fall... in many senses of the term.







5 comments:
I love/hate pondering these very questions that you throw out to us readers of your dearly loved blog. I probably should have answers or I feel maybe I ought to try and give you several to pick from since I'm way older and have traveled this road already, but my darling daughter, life is always filled with great challenges no matter what stage so that we daily stay dependent on the Lord's prayer that He taught His disciple's how to pray for His daily bread. Be in the Word and feed yourself well so you can spill over to your children without feeling depleted yourself.
I'm ready for Fall,too... n many senses of the term.
may God give you clear answers for His plan for you and your children.
Take your wise mama's advice ... so well said.
Love you, Jenny.
Aunt Laurie
Thanks for your honesty and ability to share the realness of your life. It's refreshing. Now that I have a child, I've been pondering the same things -- what does good mothering look like? How do we accomplish everything? How do we get away from all the social media/internet distractions to focus on what's important?
After I have re-read this post, I'm wondering if what I say will make sense or be applicable but here it goes...
You remind me so much of myself sometimes. Trying so hard + failing + but not wanting to give up. And you know what I have found? The Holy Spirit draws us to Himself in ways that we don't even REALIZE until after we are changed. I look back on my life and think WOW, I can't believe this attitude/habit has changed. And it's only because of the Holy Spirit's work in my life. I'm convinced that God wants to use us more than we even want to be used or more than we realize.
After all, the Bible does say, "We love Him because He FIRST loved us." :)
Post a Comment