Books are probably one of my top favorite gifts to give/receive as gifts when we're talking children. Forget the plastic junk, give me some lit-ra-chur!! In fact, that's what Trav and I are giving to many of our nieces and nephews this year: books.
My husband is not a reader. Yet, after nearly every weekend, he concurs that new books are a must (as we probably average about 25+ books/day with our girls). That's why we love libraries and thrift store book sections. Books for the car, books for the play room, books for the bedrooms.
We also just started getting Puzzle Buzz (a younger version of Highlights) magazine in the mail for Bella and those have provided HOURS of entertainment. Literally... hours.
Without further ado, I'd like to share a solid list of books (& links) that we enjoy and would make great gifts this Christmas, whether for your children or friends. These books fall between the ages 2-5ish. Summer is just now starting to sit through all the bigger books that Bella likes. I firmly believe that reading higher levels of books to your children is GOOD and beneficial. Read Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little and The Boxcar Children to your 4-year old. They might not understand every word, but they'll catch more than you think they do, and hopefully create a love for stories & books in their minds.
My husband is not a reader. Yet, after nearly every weekend, he concurs that new books are a must (as we probably average about 25+ books/day with our girls). That's why we love libraries and thrift store book sections. Books for the car, books for the play room, books for the bedrooms.
We also just started getting Puzzle Buzz (a younger version of Highlights) magazine in the mail for Bella and those have provided HOURS of entertainment. Literally... hours.
Without further ado, I'd like to share a solid list of books (& links) that we enjoy and would make great gifts this Christmas, whether for your children or friends. These books fall between the ages 2-5ish. Summer is just now starting to sit through all the bigger books that Bella likes. I firmly believe that reading higher levels of books to your children is GOOD and beneficial. Read Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little and The Boxcar Children to your 4-year old. They might not understand every word, but they'll catch more than you think they do, and hopefully create a love for stories & books in their minds.
Books we love:
Authors we love:
Chris Van Allsberg
Don and Audrey Wood
James Marshall
Virginia Lee Burton
Richard Scary
Don Freeman
Syd Hoff
David McPhail
Happy reading, everyone, and may you receive lots of books this Christmas!!







8 comments:
We are book fiends as well! My 3 year old has been big into Roald Dahl lately (Matilda, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and James and the Giant Peach). If you like Chris Van Allsburg, you will probably like David Wiesner too.
We love Roald Dahl as well... and I'll have to look at David Wiesner!
I LOVE Caps For Sale. To be honest, I probably haven't read it in a good 20 years, but everymtime I think of it I smile because of how much I loved it as a child. It's on our wishlist for Drew, and if no one in our families gets it in the next 2 years, I definitely am!
Great, great list! We are book collectors too, thanks to thrift stores and garage sales!
LOVE Roald Dahl to add to your list, and this summer, I picked up Caps For Sale at a GArage sale and was thumbing through it (had not seen it before), and my husband practically leapt across 2 tables to insist that we buy it since it was one of his favorites as a kid.
Thanks for the ideas!
My Mom used to read us books while we took our baths and before bed. (I remember her reading The Secret Garden to us). We've started reading a book with Bailey before bed and I love the quiet time it gives us together! I'll have to check out some of the books you suggested!
Love this.
Brent is also not a huge reader, but I couldn't BREATHE without books [and that is ALMOST not an overstatement].
That being said, he is totally on board for teaching a love of reading to our children. Besides reading around them and to them, how else do you think we can be intentionally about passing this on?
[also the chevron blanket is awesome]
jenny can i havE that top photo of the three reading for my christmas gist this year! I love love love it !
Great book selection! Some of our favorites are on the list. Another chapter book that your girls might enjoy in the next year or so is "The Little Pilgrims Progress". It was suggested at Bible study one day and a friend of mine and I are reading it to our kids. They can NOT get enough of that book and have loved it. They beg to hear more about Little Christian.
Post a Comment