Rhett James
born on May 24, 2013 @ 2:13 pm
8 lbs 6 oz
20 1/2 in
Our birth story is beautiful and I will always remember it fondly. I'll share snips of it with you quickly, before my little man wakes and the girls want another book read and dinner is to be eaten and... well, you get the picture.
Trav and I went in at 5 a.m. Friday morning to begin the inducement, and right as we arrived, I had my first contraction. Fifteen minutes later, another one. So, instead of beginning the pitocin, my doctor agreed to let me labor on my own for a bit before he broke my water. I informed him of my fast previous labors, along with the fact that I was already 3-4 cm dilated and he was super willing to let me have my way. Great doctor! Around 9 a.m., my water was broken and the painful contractions began to come quickly. You know, the kind that make you think getting a large needle stuck in your spine sounds like a perfectly splendid idea. After my epidural was given, things relaxed. I napped, Trav watched ESPN and did some homework... and around 1:30, I measured 8 cm. Half an hour later, I felt the incredible urge to push ... and three contractions later, my SON was born.
I've always wanted a surprise, and boy, did I get my surprise with this boy!!! Trav and I have been pretty convinced we're having a third girl since my 20-week ultrasound when we thought we saw little lady-parts on our child. There have been some points when I thought/felt "boy"... but then my mind would go back to what I "saw" in the ultrasound and I would think "girl." We had our nurse all antsy about the sex of the baby when we told her we had two little ladies at home and felt nearly 100% sure that our third was a girl. As I began to push, she looked at Trav and said, "You tell Jenny what the baby is, okay?"
Minutes later, as Rhett emerged with a final, giant push (and yell!), I heard our nurse gasp, "No way!!"... and then I heard my husband exclaim, with much gusto, "IT'S A BOY!!" And I broke into tears. I'm not sure why... as I knew another daughter would have been my absolute joy. The best way I can describe what I felt is two-part:
(1) I so desperately wanted a surprise. I practically "knew" I was having a girl. Rhett was the best, most-perfect surprise. JUST what I had wanted. Such a gift.
(2) I knew that, boy or girl, I wanted the child inside of me. Whomever, however s/he was made. What I didn't know was that, all along, he was Rhett. I didn't know how badly I wanted Rhett. And then... I birthed him. And held him. And he was mine - a gift from God. So undeserved and so perfect in every way.
Travis and I were in awe and shock the rest of our stay - we still are. He is our little love. The girls... well, they have their own story and I'll share it soon, as time allows. As for now, thank you thank you THANK YOU for all the well wishes, prayers and words of congratulations. And thank you for letting me share my gift with you.








10 comments:
Congratulations on such a handsome little guy! There is nothing quite as fabulous as a newborn. I know exactly what you mean about #1. Our last baby was also a surprise but I felt like I "knew" it was going to be a boy...and when she came out a girl...well I just couldn't believe it! And even though I had just birthed her I felt like she couldn't be mine because I was expecting a boy. It was the BEST surprise!
Enjoy these fleeting newborn days - and remember to give yourself a lot of grace as you adjust to life as a mom of 3.
Oh Jenny, I'm so happy for you and Travis! What a perfect birth story. God's timing is always better than we hope. Tears fill my eyes with Travis' joyful exclamation that you now have a precious son. What a gift indeed. :) What a sweet family you have Jenny.
Such a lovely birth story! Congratulations again! Much love, and I can't wait to hear the girls' story :)
Big Congrats! What a handsome boy you have! I'm so glad things went well and everyone is happy and healthy!
I'm SO glad you held firm and did not have any doctor confirm boy/girl during all those ultrasound opportunities!!! What joy for the simple & unexpected introduction of Rhett... after all that waiting to meet! Love you dearly and can't wait to meet the new addition. xo
SO happy for you guys! :) What a precious little surprise! Also, love the name! :)
So sweet! And what a happy surprise! New Mama (again) prayers headed your way as you adjust to one more little one in your nest!
Congratulations!! I love the family picture of all 5 of you! So sweet!
I, too, thought wholeheartedly that our first baby was a girl, and out he came a boy! So, I know that surprised feeling well! It is fun not to find out til birth isn't it? (We did find out ahead with our second, who is a girl--both ways of finding out gender have their pros and cons :) Newborn/post-partum is not my favorite stage of parenting; I'm guessing not yours either, so I'm thinking of you during these first several weeks!!
Blessings to you and your dear family!
-Amber Kmoch
So happy for you.
We had two boys and was told (no ultra sound done) by the doctor he thought it was another boy. We were so shocked at giving birth to a girl and overjoyed. My mouth actually hurt the next day from smiling so much.
Congrats!!
Post a Comment