Monday, June 24, 2013

one-month old little man

Our Rhett is one-month old today.  They say each subsequent child's life goes by faster and faster than the one before, and I'm claiming that as true!


This child is a dream.  For reals.  Not only the easiest kid I've had, but one of the easiest I've ever encountered!  (Granted, he's only a month... but still.)  He's quite content to follow our schedule of eat-wake-sleep.  He eats like a champ and has already gained 2-3 pounds.  He is quiet and observant while awake, content to be held or sit in his bouncy chair and watch the ruckus hubbub of the household move about him.  And he sleeps through girls' high-pitched screaming, vacuuming, dishwasher unloading, thunderstorms... you name it.

Granted, I've had live-in help for the past month, and we are just now beginning our life with just us five, but the transition to three hasn't been as hard as I thought it might.  Sure, we have our hours/days when the load seems overwhelming and I feel very outnumbered, but on the whole, Rhett has made the transition one of joy and overall ease.

He's begun to stretch out those midnight feedings, so I'm getting good 3-4 hour stretches of sleep and that does a wonder on one's outlook in life.

All in all, we are head over heels for our little guy.  The girls still coo over him (sometimes too much??) and beg to hold him all the live-long day.  He's unknowingly brought so much life and joy into this family.  We are thankful for you, Rhett James.


One random fact for the day: Rhett isn't as well-known a name as I thought it was!  When we named him that, I completely thought that it was known, although not used much.  But it's safe to say 90% of the time when we share his name, people look at us with confused looks and ask the spelling.  Then they make some "That's interesting..." comment and leave it at that.  It's made me a bit self-conscious when sharing his name because I feel like one of those people that pick a weird, random name for their kid!  Oh well... we love it and that's all that matters, right?

6 comments:

kelseylynae said...

So glad he is a happy babe for you all.

As for the name: I have had the same experience with "Blythe." For some reason many think it is a boy's name, so if she doesn't have a bow on [since she is still bald], I tend to tell them "Blythe Kathleen" so they know she's a girl. And it never fails: "That's interesting" or "I've never heard that one before" or "Ohhh…okay."

Needless to say I LOVE the name Rhett. Well done. And I am a fan of unique names: probably because, as a teacher, I got a little tired of saying "Ashley K, Ashley C, Ashley M." and so forth ;)

Nealous said...

Rhett is so handsome! So happy he has contently joined right into the Fugler chaos!

Welcome to the rare name club ;-)
For the record, UNIQUE names aren't always weird and are rarely random. You guys chose Rhett because it meant something to your family. We chose Dienye (definitely not well-known!!!) becasue it meant something to us. Every name has a reason to it.

Now if you named him Baseball, Apple or Tulip I would classify his name as weird and random!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could hold him. He looks adorable and I'm certain the girls can't wait to have him play with them. Love you all, Nana

Cassie said...

What a little darling he is. And really, I don't think Rhett is weird at all. It's people who are weird, especially when they can't muster up an "What a great name!" comment.

Amanda B. said...

Ok I knew Rhett right away. From the movie of course, but it's not weird at all. I love it. Rhett and Evelyn, don't they sound like a sweet old married couple already, *wink. And for the record I have had the same feelings about Gone With The Wind, so now I guess I should read the book too.

amanda said...

I've known a few Rhets/ Rhetts! I know the feeling telling people my kiddo's name is Zelda!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...