The more time I spend with my children, I realize that what I treasure, they treasure.
We hear that all the time. Our children do as we do. They're watching. But, really, the older they get, the harder it becomes to separate our lives from theirs. I mean, when they're little, you put them down for two naps and an early bedtime. During those times, you sneak chocolate, you watch movies, you sew, you talk on the phone, etc. Then, they grow. You can't spell in front of them anymore, you certainly can't sneak chocolate, and movies?? There's so little time to yourself, who wants to waste it on a movie??
I spend a lot of my free time on my computer. Emailing, blogging, editing photos, etc. And so, I notice my girls begging to play with the buttons on my computer. Wanting to do things on my phone. Watch a tv show. I initially get bugged. "No. Go outside. Use your imagination! Read, paint, color!"
The Lord has been slowly revealing to me that what I treasure, they also will treasure. If I'm outside, they'll be outside. If I love reading, they'll love reading. If I love my computer, they'll love their computers (one day).
Instead of directing Bella to paint alone today during quiet time, I sat with her. I tried my hand at creativity and she loved it. She watched me... and then mirrored me. Kids are so complementary like that. It only instills in me a greater desire to be great for them. To point them to the One Thing that lasts and matters.
I love our family monograms.




4 comments:
I noticed the same thing with Jack...already. He wants to hold my phone so badly. Anyways that is some mad painting skills. I'm totally impressed! :)
Wow. I needed to read this today. Thank you. Great words! I just love your blogs!
Ugh, Jenny I just wish I could squeeze you. So true, so very true. And so perfectly timed. Thank you. (And oh how I miss that me time sometimes!)
Jenny, such wise observations and great mid-course correction. There's a pilot I know who would admire that maneuver. Love, Dad
Post a Comment