Tuesday, October 13, 2009

yikes

Most of the time, I find myself complaining about being in the military. Maybe not so much out loud as it is to myself. I whine about:
- not being able to pick where I live
- having my husband gone 6 months out of the year (if not more)
- being at the complete mercy of the AF in all situations
- having to report/take leave if we travel more than 100 miles away
- not being able to plan, but expected to be flexible and accepting
- putting our country's needs above our family's needs
... and the list could go on and on.

And then we get something like THIS in the mail, and God stops me in my complaining tracks and says, "See how I provide for you???"


This is our balance after Bella's last surgery.

$20,990.75 for the actual surgery.

$1,959 for the ambulance ride to the main hospital after her hemorrhaging issue.

$184 for the pre/post-op appointments.

Grand totaling to $23,133.75.

How much our insurance covers with Travis being active duty?

EV.ER.Y.THING. We pay zip, nada, zilch. And this was just 1 of 4 surgeries she had this past year.

So, shut your mouth, Jenny Elizabeth, and be grateful for what you have been given. Yes, I certainly will mindful to do so.

11 comments:

Joanie said...

Oh my wow. Glad for the grace you were given there, but we civilians can't deny the sacrifices you make, so thank you both from the bottom of my heart.

Kristen said...

Oh my, you are blessed beyond belief! There are soooo many families just in the US alone that wouldn't be able to swing any of those surgeries...

Joy Howse said...

I totally get it. I complain about Dale's job and the long hours and the extensive commute and then I am reminded of Aiden's NICU stay at almost $100,000 and the surgery 7 months later, and the list goes on. Thank you Jesus!!!

Emily Takes Photos said...

Suddenly, a socialist healthcare system doesn't seem so bad :)

jenny said...

Now Emily... I still HIGHLY disagree! With socialist healthcare, we would not be able to pick and choose Bella's specialists. They also would be not as available and we would probably have to wait years to see one. Even though I am blessed, I don't believe it is MY RIGHT as an American to have the government pay for my healthcare.

You know better than to get me started...

Emily Takes Photos said...

Haha, if anything, I'd say your post supports the argument that the government can run a first-class healthcare system, providing care based on ones needs and ability to pay, and in a timely manner. And just curious (cuz I don't actually know in this case), did you get to just pick any specialist, or did you have to choose who would work with military insurance? I'm not sure exactly how it works for you guys, but in regards to the argument about choosing a doctor/specialist, people with private healthcare still have to choose from a list, as not every doctor works with every company. Private health care doesn't equal absolute choice for consumers.

Booyah. :P

jenny said...

*sigh* Emily.
Just because my husband works for the the government doesn't mean that the government is running our healthcare. We still have a private healthcare system, where yes, we do have to pick and choose specialists who will take our insurance. It just so happens that most healthcare providers take military insurance, seeing how the military is what defends our freedoms.

I never said that private healthcare = absolute choice for consumers, and I would even go so far as to say that YES our healthcare system needs reform. But to simply go along with Obama's plan of universal healthcare is to deny the chaos and corruption that universal healthcare has created in other modern countries, such as Great Britain and Canada. It is to ignore great folly and it is to pursue a great downfall. While we may not have perfect healthcare, we have the BEST healthcare in the WORLD.

America is about the freedom and choice to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS. What the whole concept of universal (or socialistic) healthcare says to me is, "I deserve happiness and good health, therefore I will make my country's people PAY for my healthcare."

Alright, you liberal. :-) Enough is enough. I simply wanted to point out that I'm thankful for my husband's job so I don't have to pay for Bella's bills!

Mama Mote said...

I am so thankful for your sacrifice, too. And isn't it just like God to point out what He's doing for us in such a visual way - every once in awhile when we really need to see? You have it in black and white (and green?). Love you, Jenny.

Emily Takes Photos said...

*heart*

Kali said...

Wow - the Lord certainly provides over & above, though sometimes in ways we least expect it. Thanks for the perspective!

Jon and Noonie Fugler said...

Now that's a good insurance program. God knew the need from the beginning of time. That's reassuring.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...