Wednesday, February 3, 2010

thrift store treasures

I've been asked many times, how do I find such good treasures at thrift stores??  Or, which thrift stores do I visit??  Here are a couple of thrifting tips that I've found helpful:

(I have a vision of putting mix-n-match vintage bedding on Bella's bed.  
I love vintage sheets for a variety of reasons, but mainly because they bring back childhood for me.
Here are some of my finds.  I think the most I paid for one sheet was $3.  
The rest were between $1-$2.)

1. Go OFTEN.  I mainly visit the thrift store on our military base, because it is so convenient for me (travel-wise).  It is only open 3 days a week, totaling 12 hours per week, but I try to find time to make a quick run there at least once every other week, if not every week.  Many times I leave with nothing, or something small (like a book), but if I'm faithful, something's bound to catch my eye.

2. Donate OFTEN.  I am constantly bringing things to the thrift store - at least every other time I go.  I don't usually consign, simply because the things I donate aren't worth much.  But, I find if I'm donating, I feel more connected with the business of "thrifting" and am bound to check my options there, first, before paying full price at a store.

3. Know what you're looking for.  This isn't necessary, but it certainly helps me not collect "junk" because I think that someday my great-niece might want a pretty shelf in her orange room (although I do fail and buy things when I don't necessarily have a place in mind for them).  Lately, I've been searching for vintage sheets.  I want to put mix-n-match vintagey, floral sheets on Bella's bed when she moves into one.  So, far, I've found a couple and it makes the find so much more exciting because I had those sheets specifically in mind.  I also love any sort of old book...

(I found this ooooold catechism by Martin Luther for 15 cents!!  What a steal!)
Copywrited in 1943, with a slight revision in 1965... Makes my heart go pitter-patter.
LOVE this section (actually, each section talks about how the "Head of his household" should teach these truths to the youngsters.  After this section on prayer, it says that you should go about your business cheerful, singing a hymn or reciting the 10 commandments.  :-)  

Also love this book: "Flat Stanley".  For a quarter.  Can't beat that.

4. Keep an open mind... especially if you're looking for something crafty to do, or make over.  A lot of times you simply need to forget about the color and imagine what a coat of turquoise spray paint might do for its physique.

Found this precious, wooden toddler bed (came with perfect mattress and mattress pad) for $40.
If the Lord chooses to bless my womb any time soon, we want both the kids to share a room.
This small bed makes it possible.  
Plus, it's adorable.  And wooden.  I love it.
Still in the basement though.  Not up for bed-training quite yet.

5. In answer to "Where do I thrift??" I say that usually, on base.  That's where I donate all my stuff and usually find my finds.  But, I also love any Salvation Army and Goodwill.  Each one varies, but usually those are good places to begin.  Any local-yocal place is a great way to support your community, as well.

So, there you have it!  Go ye forth and thrift!!

4 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

i love thrifting but don't go enough to be that successful. but you've inspired me to take a peek at our thrift stores a little more often. (mostly i don't go because i'm kind of against going anywhere unnecessary right now with certain children that shall remain nameless. must be close to home to discipline!)

joy said...

good tips! i always forget about thrift stores. i like to look in antique shops but the real deals are in the thrift shops.

Sarah Helfinstine said...

I love that you bought the old Catechism--my mom has that exact one that she and her older brothers used through confirmation!

The Andersons said...

I'm am so so glad you posted this. I was going to ask the same questions. I love to go to thrift stores. I always go with something particular in mind. Looking for side tables right now. I love hand-me down furniture and baby clothes. I got Maddy's crib and changing table/dresser on craigslist for a steal! I go to good will often, but have never visited the store on base. Thanks!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...