Thursday, June 2, 2011

honest parenting

Bella. My, oh my, oh MY.

Today was not pretty.


Let me preface this by admitting that the last couple days have passed with not such a stellar attitude from me.  I'm not sure if my hormones are finally balancing out again, or what, but I've been teary, exhausted, and moody. Prime candidate for lovely company.  And while being with my parents is sooo helpful and dreamy, the fact of the matter is that living in another's home with two youngun's is less than ideal.  Worth it?  Yes, but hard too.

Sooo... y'all know my eldest.  Her spastic, strong will.  My, oh my, oh MY.  Along with my PMS (or whatever we'll label my moodiness) = not a good match.  Everything is a challenge with her.  Every tone of voice.  Every command.  Every situation... all calls for such consistency and love and patience... I'm absolutely beat by 7 o'clock PM.  

Today was long, as is, but bedtime put me over the edge.  Starting with the bath time.  In bullet form, it went something like this:

  • I fill the tub.  Bella is yelling "BOO!!!" in Summer's face - making a tired, crabby baby even crabbier.
  • I tell Bella to get undressed while I continue to prep to bathe both girls.
  • I yell at Bella again to get undressed and stop yelling in Summer's face.
  • Bella screams that the water is TOO HOT (which it's totally not) and begins crying hysterically.
  • Summer's crying on the floor next to the tub b/c I'm not holding her.
  • I bathe Bella amidst cries.
  • She tells me how to clean her, I tell her to stop bossing me around.  I'm the Mama.
  • I finally get Summer in the tub.
  • Bella begins splashing Summer - making her upset.
  • I'm upset at Bella.
  • Bella begins drinking dirty bath water.
  • I tell her to stop.
  • She continues.
  • I tell her to stop again.
  • She then LICKS the water - "I'm not drinking it Mama."
  • I tell her to stop.
  • She then puts the water on her thumb and sucks her thumb.
  • I poke my eyeballs out.
  • Then I drain the tub - "You can't obey, you can't play."
  • More tears.
  • Summer's screaming for some milk and sleep.
  • I pull Bell out, wrap her in a towel and scoop Summer up and tell Bella to follow me to the bedroom.
  • Bella slips on floor and falls.
  • More crying.
  • I LOSE IT!!!!!
No more sympathy!  No more crying!  No more THURSDAY!!!  This day needs to be over!!!!!


Eventually, both girls are dressed.  Summer is fed, and down.  I pull Bella into my bedroom and gather some books and nestle on the bed.  Pulling her close, I apologize.
"Bells. I'm sorry I lost my temper.  That was so wrong of me.  I need to work on my patience.  Will you please forgive me?"

She looks at me with wide eyes, as her wet hair begins to *boing* back into the familiar ringlets.  
"Yes, I do forgive you, Mama."
"Thanks, Love.  You want to read a couple books now?"

She snuggles close to me and as I begin to open Go, Dog. GO!, she glances up at me with her concerned face.  "Mama?  You losed it?  Where did you lose it?"

"Lose what?" I'm confused now.

"You losed your temperature?  Where did it go?  Maybe Mimi and Grand-dad will have a temperature you can use.  Don't worry that you losed your temperature, Mama.  I forgive you.  Don't worry."
***
("Temperature" is Bella's word for thermometer.)


Oh parenting... 
So hard.
So exhilarating.
So humiliating.
So exhausting.
So...
*sigh*
I love kids.

12 comments:

Allison Brown said...

Hi Jenny,

I love reading your blog and all the honesty and humor you bring! I totally feel you on just how hard this parenting thing can be sometimes. I find myself apologizing to my oldest, a lot! But I just had to say that Bella is just adorable and such a personality! She seems so bright too. I often find myself thinking after a post that my kids-even my 5year old-dont think about/grasp a lot of the concepts that Bella seems to. Anyway, you have adorable kids, even when it doesn't feel that way sometimes. You're doing a great job with them!

{K} said...

Haha. I had to laugh while I was reading that because it sounds so familiar. I go through the same kind of scenerios with my 2 year old and her 9 month old brother. A 2 year old can certainly drive you crazy! My husband laughs at me because at bedtime almost every single night I tell my little girl that I'm sorry I yelled at her. :( Sad, but true. I need to work on my patience too.

That's ADORABLE what your little girl said to you about your "temperature." So cute!! :) I had to laugh while reading that too. Just too cute.

Jodi said...

If you have not, pick up "Loving the Little Years" by Rachel Jankovic. No, it will not solve all your problems, but oh, read it...your post actually reminded me of some of the book.

Emily Takes Photos said...

This is why I started reading your blog; your honesty when it comes to pregnancy/child rearing/everything is so refreshing. Now go get a good night's sleep and I hope tomorrow is easier!

The Akins Family said...

I literally lol when I read "I poked my eyeballs out"! I hope today is better all around for you! And I agree - it's always harder at someone elses house! But the life we live- we have to travel, right??! :)

Dacia said...

oh, friend. i feel your pain! i'm so sorry. my kids are always worse at the grandparents' house too. that's why i stayed here this deployment. i agree, it's so tough because it's nice to have the help but is the extra work worth it? uugh. so frustrating. i'm praying for you. hang in there. we've all been there with 2 year olds.

Michelle said...

Oh I'm so glad we aren't the only ones going through this!!!! Every single thing is a battle with Keagan too. He's always yelling no at us and telling us what to do. We look forward to nap and bed time every day...sigh!

THE WHITTINGTONS said...

This all sounds so very familiar to my life as of late... Hugs.

Terra said...

Love it! Our little Carys has a similar personality as your Bella - charming, delightful, hilarious, a tease... can turn into stubborn, opinionated and strong willed in an instant. We are learning..... :)

Katie&Greg said...

I actually, full out tears, cried reading this post because I can relate so well! They weren't sad tears or even happy tears, but tears of relief, that I am not the only Momma with a strong willed child! :)

Here's to a good weekend and to a good week!

jenny said...

Oh Katie... :-( Yes, you're not the only one! Strong-willed-child-mothers unite!

Amanda B. said...

Oh Jenny, I love your little Bella. Strong-willed as she may be she had got to be one of the sweetest girls. I love that last conversation.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...