Monday, June 27, 2011

a surprise

I held off from telling Bella.  Because I knew she'd ask me a billion mazillion times about it before it actually happened.  And I wanted to see the look of pure wonder and excitement on her face.  So smart and yet, still so clueless.  I mean, with all the "I *heart* Daddy t-shirts and signs, driving out to the runway to meet his jet.... and she still kept asking, "What's the surprise, Mama??  What IS it??"


And when I saw him walking down the steps, out of the jet, I stopped her dancing, spinning body and pointed her in his direction.  I said, "Look, Bells.  Who is that?"


She looked at him, and then back at me, with eyes as big as saucers.  "Daddy, Mama?  Daddy!!" and then she ran to him.  Past the colonels and airmen.  Pushed her way into my husband's manly, desert-geared arms.  She wrapped those brown little arms around his neck and didn't let go for a long time.  Every now and then, she'd pop her head up to look at him, and then me, and whisper, "It's my Daddy, Mama.  It's my Daddy."  Then she'd nuzzle right back down again, breathing in her Prince Charming.


He's sleeping now; wars (and jet-lag) can work you to the bone.  But he's home... and he got it right on the nose, as he told me:
"I feel like the luckiest man alive.  I have three wonderful girls who adore me."


Yes, my man.  You do.  You are loved.  And you are home.

20 comments:

Dacia said...

i came over here hoping you posted more pictures (but doubting that you had because well, your hubby is home)! i am SO glad you posted them! i am so elated for your family! can't wait to hang out with y'all! ps. taylor is supposed to be back tomorrow! :-) yay!

Kristen Borland said...

YAY!!! i love this!!

rachieannie said...

So beautiful! Definitely tearing up over here.

Mallory said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!

Emily Takes Photos said...

...and cue the tears. Such a sweet story; glad he's home!

Amanda B. said...

Yay! So glad he's home. Enjoy your time together and soak up being a family again!

Kate said...

ok... bawling me eyeballs out now. so happy for you!

Nikki said...

So, SO happy for you Jenny. Adorable pic of all three of you hugging Travis. Such a wonderful, happy day!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how proud Bella looks! I'm really happy for you all, Jenny! Especially you for getting your best friend back at home with you. Such a comfort.

Cassie said...

Welcome back to Travis! You amaze me, Jenny, for your strength when he is away. You're a wonder woman. I wish I had a gold star to give you (and one for Travis, too). I'm happy for your family that he's back! Enjoy!

Betty said...

What a precious gift you gave Bella ... to let her enjoy the best surprise of the year!!! Man, I'm teary-eyed as I think of how you must feel and how loved Trav must feel. Enjoy being all together, and all tucked in at home tonight!! Thanks for sharing w/pictures

Janet said...

I got all choked up as you described Bella's surprise, it must have been amazing, and to see the pictures, will always bring great memories, of her "hero" and yours. Wow, Summer must have been in awe also, I am so HAPPY for all 4 of you, hugs and kisses and prayers.

Lindsey said...

Made me cry, too! So glad he's home safe and sound! :)

The Scott Family said...

Oh goodness, this made me tear up! You have a precious family, I'm so happy you are all together again!!!

Our Life Together said...

Yay I'm so happy your little family is back together. As much as we hate them leaving, the reunions are always memorable :). Enjoy your family time together :).

Emily said...

How fantastic to be reunited!!! Those are the sweetest moments, watching your daughters in their daddy's arms. Tommy mentioned Travis going to SOS....what dates? Justin is going from the end of July to August.

Tim and Melissa McBee said...

Oh Jenny, YAYYYY!!!! Your smile says it all :)

Dina said...

How wonderful! Thank you for your service Travis!

Stephanie said...

YAY! Does this mean he came home early? I thought you said 'sometime in July...hopefully'. Either way - so stoked for the 4 of you!!

Terra said...

wonderful. I am so grateful your family is all together again. Thank you for the sacrifice each of you make on behalf of our country and freedom. The pictures are beautiful and bring my heart so much joy!!!! Love to you all!!!!

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...