Wednesday, May 29, 2013

meeting Rhett


Travis and I were so excited for the girls to meet Rhett.  We had talked about him for so long and dreamed about who he would be that we couldn't wait to share in their joy over meeting their new sibling.  We knew Summer would be OVER THE MOON.  She had adamantly held to the fact that it was her "baby bruddah" in Mama's tummy, and being the baby-lover that she is, her reaction was spot on: PURE ADORATION.  From the moment she burst into my recovery room, she shot straight to Rhett and begged to hold him.  She didn't want to share holding time and practically swallowed him whole.  And it's been the same ever since: she wants to see him first thing in the morning, begs to hold him, loves to boink his nose and pet his head and shake his hands and talk in a high, squeaky voice to him.  This girl has the word "maternal" defined.  For example:


Bella I was bit more unsure of.  At times, she would seem excited about the baby in my tummy, and at others, completely nonchalant.  When she entered the recovery room, it was warily.  Noticing me in the bed, she quickly came to my side and wanted to know if I was hurting and where and why, etc.  She stayed by my side the entire time and kept eyeing me, making sure I was still the same Mama.  When offered Rhett, she denied him.  Showed no desire to look at him, much less hold him.  Rather, she stayed near my bed and drew me pictures on her special notepad. Her reaction didn't surprise me, as she is my child who is more hesitant to love and show affection.  I knew that Rhett would capture her heart one day soon and there was no need to rush unfelt feelings.

The next day, we made it home in the late afternoon.  Again, Summer nearly attacked us at the door, begging to hold her baby.  Again, Bella showed no interest.  It wasn't until later, as I finished a nursing session with Rhett and he was lying, sleepily drunk on my lap, that she wandered over and sat near me.  His eyes went to her and his little hands involuntarily reached towards her.  Her face lit with awe, as she whispered, "Mama!  He's looking at me!  He touched me!"  And then, a little while later, "Can I hold him, Mama?"


Since then, she's been in love.  She studies him and cares for him.  She will be fiercely protective, I just know.  Such a loved little boy... is it possible to feel any more blessed or thankful?


The transition has been our easiest thus far.  Oh, of course the beginning is always difficult - getting used to less sleep, another being in the home, baby gear EVERYWHERE, etc.  But, really, third time's the charm.  And...... 'tis 9 o'clock.  Which means my eyes are drooping and the house needs picking up and I need readying for bed.  Goodnight, dear Reader.

7 comments:

Mallory said...

So sweet! Welcome sweet boy, I have no doubt that Bella will be the protector and Summer will be the cuddler over him.

Rest well my friend!

liz | carpe season said...

Something about Bella's reaction made me tear up...so sweet. What a loved "baby bruddah" indeed!

rachieannie said...

He is so precious, as are your girls! So glad to hear that the transition to 3 is going well. Enjoy these newborn days (they're my favorite :-))

anna said...

Love your girls. :) I can't believe you're a mama of 3 now! Crazy dude! When the heck did we get so old??? Sheesh. <3 Your fam bam is beautiful though!

Dana said...

This post made me tear up too. You have the sweetest little family. Thank you for sharing.

Emily Takes Photos said...

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who teared up at Bella's reaction! So sweet! And Summer is too cute with him! I can't wait to hear more stories about Rhett's adventures with his sisters!

Dina M said...

Congrats on the new addition! What a cutie! Enjoy this sweet time.

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...