On Sunday, our pastor was speaking on prayer. He said something to the effect that, the promises of God are in the Bible to cause us to seek Him more. Yet, we often do the opposite. We read, "I will never leave you nor forsake you," and we think Oh, okay. So, if He promises that, I can just kinda live life on my own. And we often do. We live life thinking we can get by without daily communion and petitioning for aid and strength. Oh, we'll go to Him with the "big" stuff, but the little, daily mundane prayers? Na...
Immediately, I resonated. I have not been in much prayer lately. In fact, the Word has been distant from me. In many areas of life, recently, I feel as though I know all the correct verses, phrases, prayers, right answers... but do they feel real to me? Do I live them? Do I love and cherish them? No. And much of me feels lost on how to return back to connecting my head with my heart.
Prayer can be one of those ways. Prayer is such a practical way of admitting our dependence. In a world that hails independence and self-made strength, prayer is the exact opposite. It's begging God for help. For comfort. For wisdom. It's admitting I have no idea what I'm doing... can you help? Better yet, can you take this from me and allow me to do it in YOUR strength?
Also immediately, my Bella June came to mind. She, along with many 4-year olds, has a way of repeating herself and her requests until they are heard. Often, our first encounter with this is in the morning, at breakfast. The girls love orange juice and they only get one cup a day - at breakfast. The request starts early, often from the moment they rise. But, I make them wait, as always, til breakfast. That doesn't stop Bella from "hinting" that she wants orange juice, that she NEEDS orange juice. "Can I have some now, Mama? I just looove orange juice!"
Just wait, I tell her. I told you I'll get you some. Trust me.
And as I set their cereal bowls on the table, and grab their spoons... "I just can't wait for my orange juice! Can I have some now, Mama? Is it time?"
They plop into their booster seats and thank the Lord for their food. And in between bites, "Mama, can we have some orange juice???"
Often, I get frustrated. I take longer some days so I can teach her patience. I want her to know that if I said I will get it for her, I will get it for her. I want her to eventually ask once, because that is the socially acceptable way to behave. We ask once, and then wait. If you ask too many times or too frequently, you may look needy... and as we all know, needy is bad.
But in the Gospels, Christ spells out a different scenario. Over and over again, with parables and teachings, He tells us to ASK. He implores us to implore Him. We are needy. We do need Him. Through my daughter, I'm reminded that there's no "socially acceptable" way to interact with God. He wants us to want Him; He wants us to be as little children.
I've begun praying that way for this little one inside me. Please, Father, allow him/her to come quickly! Now! Today! Is it time yet? Allow my body to move... don't forget about us... I'm not sure how He'll answer me. I'm not sure why he's allowed my mother-in-law to be in town, yet allowed the baby to stay inside. But, I'm begging for a birthday. Through the begging, I come to rest in the fact that He knows all and He controls all. So I will rest.
Immediately, I resonated. I have not been in much prayer lately. In fact, the Word has been distant from me. In many areas of life, recently, I feel as though I know all the correct verses, phrases, prayers, right answers... but do they feel real to me? Do I live them? Do I love and cherish them? No. And much of me feels lost on how to return back to connecting my head with my heart.
Prayer can be one of those ways. Prayer is such a practical way of admitting our dependence. In a world that hails independence and self-made strength, prayer is the exact opposite. It's begging God for help. For comfort. For wisdom. It's admitting I have no idea what I'm doing... can you help? Better yet, can you take this from me and allow me to do it in YOUR strength?
Also immediately, my Bella June came to mind. She, along with many 4-year olds, has a way of repeating herself and her requests until they are heard. Often, our first encounter with this is in the morning, at breakfast. The girls love orange juice and they only get one cup a day - at breakfast. The request starts early, often from the moment they rise. But, I make them wait, as always, til breakfast. That doesn't stop Bella from "hinting" that she wants orange juice, that she NEEDS orange juice. "Can I have some now, Mama? I just looove orange juice!"
Just wait, I tell her. I told you I'll get you some. Trust me.
And as I set their cereal bowls on the table, and grab their spoons... "I just can't wait for my orange juice! Can I have some now, Mama? Is it time?"
They plop into their booster seats and thank the Lord for their food. And in between bites, "Mama, can we have some orange juice???"
Often, I get frustrated. I take longer some days so I can teach her patience. I want her to know that if I said I will get it for her, I will get it for her. I want her to eventually ask once, because that is the socially acceptable way to behave. We ask once, and then wait. If you ask too many times or too frequently, you may look needy... and as we all know, needy is bad.
But in the Gospels, Christ spells out a different scenario. Over and over again, with parables and teachings, He tells us to ASK. He implores us to implore Him. We are needy. We do need Him. Through my daughter, I'm reminded that there's no "socially acceptable" way to interact with God. He wants us to want Him; He wants us to be as little children.
I've begun praying that way for this little one inside me. Please, Father, allow him/her to come quickly! Now! Today! Is it time yet? Allow my body to move... don't forget about us... I'm not sure how He'll answer me. I'm not sure why he's allowed my mother-in-law to be in town, yet allowed the baby to stay inside. But, I'm begging for a birthday. Through the begging, I come to rest in the fact that He knows all and He controls all. So I will rest.




3 comments:
First of all...that would drive me BONKERS with the orange juice thing haha. Please tell me you have even just an ounce more patience with your own children then with other people's...otherwise I'm doomed. I remember one of my brothers doing that (not with orange juice though) and me wanting to tape his mouth shut haha. Second, I have no words for you regarding labor. Other then that God DOES hear our "orange juice requests" and I pray PRAY he gives you your "o.j." soon. Love you
I keep checking instagram waiting for a sweet baby face :) I hope God answers your prayers soon!
I like our line about there not being "socially acceptable ways to interact with God". The other day a friend was telling me after we lost a friend that she didn't know what else to do so she prayed the only prayer she knew over and over and included that she needed a new prayer. I was a little confused because when I pray it's like I'm chatting with a friend, I never say the same prayer twice and I go to prayer several times a day and after "Dear Lord" I usually end up saying "it's me again"....Apparently in the Catholic religion (my friends religion) there are specific prayers though. Who knew! :) Sory for the long winded comment.
I'll add you into my next set of prayers!!!
Good words to live by. I'm afraid I think I'm pestering God by asking too many times as that's not what I was taught on behaving. One time to ask and that was it. I need to rethink my prayer requests. Thank you for the reminder.
Post a Comment